ISO help making pickled cherry tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave the baker

Sous Chef
I get so many different ratios of salt to water and vinegar. Does anyone know the correct proportion? Also, should the pickles remain in the boiling bath for 10 minutes, or should they just be put in, and when a boil is reached, turn off the heat? I've made these before, but it's been an embarrasing number of years ago. Thanks

Here's an old recipe, but it is considered unsafe by today's standards since it is not pasteurized in a canner and cherry tomatoes were taken off the approved canning list because it was learned their skin density prevented heat penetration and proper killing of bacteria spores.

Pickled Cherry Tomatoes

2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
1 Tsp salt
1 TBsp sugar

Bring to the boil.

In the meantime put 2 peppercorns and 1 clove of garlic (peeled) in clean, sterilised jars. Fill with cherry tomatoes (prick them so that they can absorb pickling liquid). Pour hot vinegar mixture into jars. Seal. Wait 4-6 weeks before eating.

I'm sure you could vary the amount of spices (more salt, less sugar), and/or add different spices. You could also add some herbs to the jars. You could probably vary the vinegar/water ratio, too. More vinegar, if desired.

Thanks for your help. I'll try it. The recipe on the pickling salt container called for 1/2 C of salt to 4 C of water, It was HORRIBLE! Ruined a 12 pint batch and killed my desire to do pickling last summer. I've got a truck gardner bringing me about a gallon of tiny green tomatoes Saturday (I usually grow my own). We'll see what happens.

Dave

Are you talking about the Dill Relish on the Ball Pickling Salt Container? That salt and water is used for brining only to remove the water from the cucumbers. Did you forget to DRAIN?

Back
Top Bottom