ISO Italian Roasted Red Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You describe this as if it's common among Italian-Americans. We have several here but it seems like they are not familiar with this dish. Where did your husband grow up?

I meant, maybe a childhood friend had a relative who made this who might have the recipe.

If the recipe you tried was too sour, then maybe his grandmother used a recipe that would be considered unsafe now. Why don't you try the peperonata recipe without canning it, just to see what your husband thinks of the flavor?

Another possibility is that it's one of those things that can never be duplicated because it was his beloved grandmother who made it for him.

GG, I believe I did make mention earlier in this thread that DH is from the Philadelphia area and yes many older Italians (from Italy) do/did put up there own peppers, similar to what you might find in the grocery stores today; difference being, you did it yourself and it taste so much better.
And I'm thinking that this is not a regional recipe.
I have an American-Italian friend in Dallas Texas who is also searching for some elder that still remembers or at the least has a recipe to follow.
This just seems to be very old school that no one does any more.
As to maybe MomMom's recipe being un-safe by today's standards, well ... WDIK, I'm Hawaiian, I never heard of any such thing prior to meeting my darling husband :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom