"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 7,551
Question ISO Italian Roasted Red Peppers

My fantastic American-Italian husband has been asking for the jarred peppers like his grandmother made.
She would, so I've been told, put up peppers in her basement each year for a ever-ending supply.
When ever a kid dropped by after school, they got a sandwich made of her freshly baked bread, peppers and eggs and this is heaven for my DH.
I tried it twice and they just didn't cut it. They looked right, but wrong taste.
WDIK! I'm from Hawaii and had never heard of such a thing, until he took me 'back home' to Philly.
Oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world)!
He took me to this Italian 'joint' not far from where he grew up and MAN!
The antipasti plate was ambrosia.
I have searched for years now for the right recipe to put up my own peppers like nonni's (and no, on one in the family knows the secret, they simply ate her's).

__________________
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life."
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.
My Blog:https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,701
Do you have some details about the peppers? Were they preserved in vinegar or a vinaigrette? Any other flavors?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 7,551
@GotGarlic all I could say for sure is she used big, fat, meaty roasted red bell peppers, garlic and olive oil. The only way I got this far was eating at the Italian joint in his old neighborhood, him taking a bit of the peppers and DH saying, "this is it!". (I probably should have asked the owner/chef, but I didn't and haven't been back since.)
Not too sure if any vinegar is involved.
I've asked everyone in the family for help.
No one, really, no one got the recipe from her before she passed.
My husband's 4 Aunties did not cook, nor his own two sister's. His Mother and SIL cooked, but never got around to asking "Mom-Mom" for the recipe/technique.
I'm not even sure if that would be the correct name for them?
DH say that the peppers that I buy in the jar at the market have very little flavor... :shrug:
__________________
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life."
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.
My Blog:https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,047
ISO Italian Roasted Red Peppers

K-girl, can you doctor up the market peppers, maybe with some Italian seasoning, extra garlic, and hot pepper flakes? Play around with them and have DH keep tasting. Or see if the restaurant has a website, you could contact them.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,701
The closest thing I can think of is peperonata: Peperonata con Bruschetta (Sweet Pepper Toasts) Recipe : Mario Batali : Food Network

I don't know how you would preserve it safely, though.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,919
K-girl, try to call the restaurant and tell them that you and hubby visited and he loved it and live in AZ now and really would like to make something similar and please give me the recipe for the love of G-d and saving your marriage. They are Italians, they will get it. Italians are good peoples.
Try it, I've done it before, sometimes it works.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 7,551
@dawgluver, never thought of that, but I really want to master this myself, you know, putting up peppers

@GotGarlic, that’s good too, but this is the type of peppers that they eat in “peppers and egg sandwiches”

Name:   homemade peppers.jpeg
Views: 243
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:   peppers and eggs.jpeg
Views: 252
Size:  28.2 KB

@CharlieD, I tried to look for this restaurant, but this was almost 25 years ago and they have long closed, but you are so right, Italians are very warm folks
__________________
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life."
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.
My Blog:https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,919
Oh, you did not mention how long ago it was. I assumed it was recently.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,047
I thought so too.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 7,551

we have been together for 27 years now,
my first visit 'Back East' was memorable
We married much later in life, I wasn't fortunate enough to have met my inlaws and only a very few of my DH's relatives.
What can I say, we're old
__________________
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life."
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.
My Blog:https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,047
ISO Italian Roasted Red Peppers

I wonder if some of the Little Italy places in Philly would have ideas. We really liked Di Bruno Brothers, found this:

http://www.dibruno.com/gourmet-groce...d-peppers.html

Maybe if you play around with the seasonings and stuff, you might get close. No vinegar, so you would probably need to pressure can them.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
Josie1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
My fantastic American-Italian husband has been asking for the jarred peppers like his grandmother made.
She would, so I've been told, put up peppers in her basement each year for a ever-ending supply.
When ever a kid dropped by after school, they got a sandwich made of her freshly baked bread, peppers and eggs and this is heaven for my DH.
I tried it twice and they just didn't cut it. They looked right, but wrong taste.
WDIK! I'm from Hawaii and had never heard of such a thing, until he took me 'back home' to Philly.
Oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world)!
He took me to this Italian 'joint' not far from where he grew up and MAN!
The antipasti plate was ambrosia.
I have searched for years now for the right recipe to put up my own peppers like nonni's (and no, on one in the family knows the secret, they simply ate her's).

I searched for a recipe for you, I made some peppers years ago. They were deep fried brifely, put in jars and the oil was laddled over the peppers.
I don't remember what the lady that gave me the recipe said about canning them. They were awesome. It was 40 years ago.
This recipe maybe close to what you are looking for
Canning Homemade!: Canning Marinated Red Peppers - Yes it's safe!
I do know you need some oil in them.

Josie
__________________
Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #13
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 7,551
This Is The First Recipe I Tried

@Josie1945 this was the first recipe that I tried
and it had too much acid for DH.
I understand that in 'canning' you need to have some acid,
that was not the right ratio for Mister K~Girl.
__________________
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life."
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.
My Blog:https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
Josie1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 2,374
I think this might be what you are
looking for.

Josie

Amazon.com: mancini fried peppers
__________________
Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
You haven't mentioned if the peppers were first roasted, then put up. Could be the difference.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #16
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,417
OOps, I guess you did. Never mind...
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
I think this might be what you are
looking for.

Josie

Amazon.com: mancini fried peppers

Josie Fried Peppers are delicious, but what I'm attempting to make is fire roasted Red Bell Peppers that are 'put up' and then eaten on a antipasti plate, or on a hard roll with scrambled eggs.
American-Italians go nuts for this stuff that is homemade.
This is what I'm what I'm desperately trying to achieve for my darling husband.
__________________
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life."
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.
My Blog:https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
@dawgluver, never thought of that, but I really want to master this myself, you know, putting up peppers

@GotGarlic, that’s good too, but this is the type of peppers that they eat in “peppers and egg sandwiches”
Attachment 21661 Attachment 21660

@CharlieD, I tried to look for this restaurant, but this was almost 25 years ago and they have long closed, but you are so right, Italians are very warm folks
Where did these pictures come from?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 26,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Josie Fried Peppers are delicious, but what I'm attempting to make is fire roasted Red Bell Peppers that are 'put up' and then eaten on a antipasti plate, or on a hard roll with scrambled eggs.
American-Italians go nuts for this stuff that is homemade.
This is what I'm what I'm desperately trying to achieve for my darling husband.
What was the recipe like that you tried before? What did your husband say about it? Is there anyone from his childhood with whom he is still in touch who might also have a relative who made these? Where did he grow up? Might there be another restaurant that makes these?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
Wannabe TV Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Posts: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Where did these pictures come from?
These are from my first attempt a couple of years back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What was the recipe like that you tried before? What did your husband say about it? Is there anyone from his childhood with whom he is still in touch who might also have a relative who made these? Where did he grow up? Might there be another restaurant that makes these?
Nope. No one knows how his Grandmother made these, they just ate them. Most of my husband's family is no longer with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
I searched for a recipe for you, I made some peppers years ago. They were deep fried brifely, put in jars and the oil was laddled over the peppers.
I don't remember what the lady that gave me the recipe said about canning them. They were awesome. It was 40 years ago.
This recipe maybe close to what you are looking for
Canning Homemade!: Canning Marinated Red Peppers - Yes it's safe!
I do know you need some oil in them.

Josie
This is the recipe that I followed and it was too sour for my husband, he didn't care for it.
so my hunt continues.
__________________
The literal meaning of aloha is "the presence of breath" or "the breath of life."
Aloha is a way of living and treating each other with love and respect.
My Blog:https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
italian, pepper, peppers, red peppers, roast

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.