ISO: Pickled Beets recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat_T

Assistant Cook
Hello all. I'm looking for a wonderful recipe for pickled beets. Care to share yours? Thanks in advance! :)

Here's how I make them, Pat, and they are really good.

Put your beets in a pot of water and boil until they are fork tender. Put on a pair of latex gloves if you don't want your hands to turn red, and rub the skin off under cold running water...it will slip off very easily. Slice the beets if they are large, and pack in sterilized jars. I really love the little baby ones.
Mix equal parts white vinegar, sugar and water in a kettle and bring to a boil. Sometimes I add a bit of mixed pickling spice to the vinegar mixture. Let simmer a few minutes until sugar is dissolved. Pour hot liquid over beets, put on lids and put in boiling water bath. You'll need to do a search to see how long.
I've gotten real lazy about canning anymore, and I just put them all in a big jar and keep in my refrigerator. They last indefinately that way.
Sometimes I even start with canned beets from the grocery store, and pour my pickling solution over the top.

Here is a recipe for Pickled Beets that is fairly standard and is about the same as the ones I have. About the only significant difference from what Constance gave you is in the ratio of vinegar to sugar and water (2:1:1 vs 1:1:1).

Constance - the processing time is 30-minutes for pints or quarts in all of my recipes.

Constance, after you pickle them, can you tell a difference between fresh beets vs. canned?

I'm not Constance - but I can answer your question callie.

Pickled beets taste nothing like fresh or plain canned beets. They have been pickled - in vinegar, sugar and spices. Because of the sugar and high acid content from the vinegar they can be processed in a boiling water canner.

Plain "canned" beets are just boiled beets packed in water, with a pinch of salt - which must be processed in a pressure canner since they lack the acidity of the pickled beets. Canned beets will taste like fresh beets.

Michael, thanks for the answer. I guess I didn't make myself very clear (a bad trait I have). My question is-do pickled beets taste better if you start the process with fresh beets vs. beets in a can from the market. Constance said she's done them both ways. I'm just curious to know if after you go through the pickling process, if you can tell which kind of beet you started with. Does that make sense?

Callie - nothing wrong with your question - problem was probably with my reading comprehension. :wacko:

I've never tried to pickle canned beets - just easier to pick up a can or jar of pickled beets. But, since the process begins the same - I'm sure pickled from canned wouldn't taste too much different than from fresh. I would think that the greatest potential for difference would be in texture - and would depend on brand. I know I've gotten some canned beets that were really firm, and some that were just a step or two away from applesauce.

:) Thanks, again, Michael. I think you are right - and texture would probably be the biggest difference. I appreciate your answers!

Callie- I didn't forget to get the shoestring beet salad recipe for you I just haven't spoken to my friend who makes it yet- I promise I will get it for you though-Love and energy, Vicki

Thanks for all the info and recipes. It's most helpful!

I do the pickled beets with raspberry flavored red wine vinegar. I do not add any sugar as I do not think beets need it as they are naturally sweet. I add salt to taste. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 vinegar to beet water from the cooked beets. I prefer fresh beets to canned ones. White vinegar has a harsh flavor so you would probably need sugar. They keep well in the refrig.

Back
Top Bottom