ISO - Pumpkin Preserves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richwn

Assistant Cook
I am trying to find a recipe for pumpkin preserves like my grandmother used to make. Her version contained ginger and was a very close approximation of marmalade. I am not having much luck with google.

Hi, welcome to DC! Could you describe more, I've never heard of pumpkin preserves/marmalade. What else do you remember about your grandma's recipe? Is it like pumpkin puree?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome :)

food.com has got an old fashioned recipe for pumpkin preserve. Can't post a link, website kicks it out. You could also try and Google Pumpkin and ginger jam, my gran used to make it and it sounds like what you described.

I bought some at a farmer's market recently and it was so good. It looks to be an apricot jam with pumpkin and spices in it. It was not like a pumpkin butter, but more of a jam.

Maybe making an apricot or apple jam with pumpkin in it would get you on the right track?

"Gelled preserves rely on the natural acidity present in most fruits for safe food preservation. Most fruits have natural acids so resulting jams or jellies can be safely canned in a boiling water bath process. Pumpkin, however, is a low acid vegetable and cannot be safely canned in the boiling water bath process. A jam or sweetened preserve would have to have enough sugar and/or added acid to be treated safely without concerns about botulism. A certain acidity level is also required to cause the pectin molecule to form a gel structure. The USDA and Georgia Cooperative Extension currently do not have any tested recipes to recommend for safely canning pumpkin preserves (jams, jellies, conserves, or pumpkin butter) and storing them at room temperature. These pumpkin products must be stored in the refrigerator or freezer and treated the same as fresh pumpkin. Refer to National Center for Home Food Preservation | UGA Publications for more information."

Back
Top Bottom