ISO Your Favorite Tomato Sauce Recipe (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I'm looking for everyone's favorite tomato sauce recipe for canning. I just have a basic one (tomatoes and citric acid/lemon juice). I bought a bushel of tomatoes and they are ripening... great deal on them too, $20 dollars!

Hey, Buttercup!:LOL::LOL:

I have what you are looking for and it's a sauce I've been making for well over 10 years.

Check out my original post here. I prefer to make it using Roma tomatoes, but other tomatoes will work well. After making my first batch of this, I quit buying/using any commercially-canned tomato sauce. It's sooooo yummy, even if I say so myself.

I just finished canning 10 jars of this sauce and can't wait to make more.

Looks awesome Katie!! I was actually hoping one of them would be oven roasted :) :) :)
The US site on canning says you should process tomato sauce for 35 ish minutes - but yours is only15?
Also I have lemon juice / citric acid - should I be using that with your recipe.

OMG I have a whole bushel of tomatoes, I'm going to be roasting all day ! LOL!

Last edited:
No, I'd leave the lemon juice/citric acid out. You'll love the sauce. It's awesome for any recipe that asks for tomato sauce. I haven't bought commercially-canned tomato sauce in years because of it. It's also great as a simple pasta sauce.

Have fun.

I hope you guys don't mind me linking off the forum, but I posted a recipe for the simplest but still super delicious tomato sauce I know how to make on my blog.

It's not a spectacular recipe but it's super easy and turns out great.

Basic Homemade Pasta Sauce

This is my favourite recipe.

2 pounds of tomatoes chopped ( I leave skins on but remove if you prefer )
2 tsp of paprika
2 tsp of kosher salt
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tbs of lemon juice

Gently simmer all of the ingredients till reduced to your liking. Boil in a water bath for 20 mins. Or use your own canning method.

Like Katie, I roast my tomatoes and veggies instead of simmering. Much easier, and less cleanup. Oil a sheet pan (with sides), cut your tomatoes, peppers, onions in half, leave the garlic whole, and bake at 400 for about an hour. Then use a stick blender or do it in batches in the food processor. I do add some vinegar to the sauce before canning, and I can it in the pressure cooker, because onions and peppers are low acid.

Soak the pan for a few minutes, and the brown bits rinse right off.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I prefer to roast my tomatoes for sauce is that they caramelize a bit allowing their sweetness to come to the fore and a great deal of the water is evaporated, resulting in a wonderfully rich tomato mass. This last batch of 10 jars I made was the best ever.

The skins just practically jump off and I scrape all the yummy bits into my food processor for the sauce. No, I don't scrape the skins into the processor, just the scrapings from the bottom of the pan the tomatoes were roasted in.

Last edited:
THanks Katie!

How long will the sauce last, stored in the dark (out of the fridge) and canned in a water bath?

I'm going to be doing this tomorrow night - the tomatoes have been on the counter (ie. taking over) for three days and they are READY!

I still have a few jars that were canned in 2008. I used one a couple of days ago and it was just fine. I usually use all my sauce up and I was surprised to discover a few jars in the back of the pantry. I didn't worry, though, because the color was good and the seal on the jar was firmly intact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom