Jam problem ... didn't set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommanalley51608

Assistant Cook
My husband and I were trying to make peach jam and we thought we followed the instructions, but, it has been a week and a half and the "jam" has not jelled. I was wondering if there is any way to save it or if it is a total loss. Any advice would help. We are new to the canning thing but so far we like it. Thank you.

My husband and I were trying to make peach jam and we thought we followed the instructions, but, it has been a week and a half and the "jam" has not jelled. I was wondering if there is any way to save it or if it is a total loss. Any advice would help. We are new to the canning thing but so far we like it. Thank you.

use for syrup for pancakes, waffles etc . also could use as a glaze for peach pie or just pour over pound cake for simple dessert welcome to dc

babe:chef:

Welcome to DC.c, momma n.
I nuke my jar to disolve alittle bit to add to a terryaki/ ginger/ garlic marinade for chicken or london broil.
it gets alittle soupy nuked, so yours would be perfect.
Or just use that & some nuked cranberry jelly as a glaze for duck or turkey.
Or try pouring over some cut up sweet potatoes and bake like candied yams.
This is in addition to the things mentioned above.
Or...you could send it to me. I'll find other uses for it for you. LOL!!!

Let us know what you decide to do. Enjoy!

The "art" of making jams and jellies continues to be the pride of a few for it takes not only following the instruction, but understanding them and when the "gel stage" has been reached. Sugar must be added all at once and the hard-boil must be quick and maintained for 1 minute. Its simple but complex. We have all done it. We learn.

If you do not have the Ball Blue Book of Preserving you should get it. It is the bible for all things canning. In it is a possible correction, but it is much easier to follow Babetoo's suggestion and just enjoy it as a syrup..... or just wait. Some jams will take a month or more to set up.

Don't know what recipe you used ... no added pectin, added liquid pectin, or added powdered pectin. The "fix" depends on that.

Making jam is really not a mystical art which only a few can master ... it certainly doesn't have to be a case of "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble. Cool it with a baboon's blood, Then the charm is firm and good." (Macbeth) If you're using added pectin - you follow the instructions for the pectin you are using ... if without added pectin you have to cook it to the gelling stage ... the times and temps are only guidelines - sometimes it talkes a little longer to get a gel based on the pectin content of your fruit. I use a triple-test method ... once the pot is up to temp I start using the the spoon test, and when that looks good, I then use the freezer test to confirm it: Testing Jelly without Added Pectin.

Now, to fix your runny jam .... you might try this: Remaking Soft Jellies

While I will agree that the Ball Blue Book of Home Food Preservation used to be the defacto primer every canner should own ... these days you can find all of the relevent information at the: National Center for Home Food Preservation. And they have a good section on: Making Jams and Jellies

Hope this helps ...

I made a batch of pepper jelly a few years ago and ended up with the same problem-it just wouldn't set. The flavor was spot-on though, and I did'nt want to toss it, so I put one of the jars in the fridge, and an hour or so later it "jelled" right up!!

I've still got several jars from that batch in my pantry, and it still hasn't set. But, whenever I want to use one, I throw it in the fridge and an hour later its perfect!!

FYI-I was told that my jelly didn't set because I tried to make a double batch-evidently thats a no-no and it threw something off.

Good Luck!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom