Microwave jam making

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
Has anyone got a good recipe for making jam ( strawberry) and or marmalade in the microwave?
I've got a brilliant one for lemon curd if anyone wants it.

I don't think you can successfully make Marmalade in a Microwave. I've made it for years following an old recipe and method my mum gave me that's on my website. It involves using a pressure cooker. Link to learn how to make marmalade

I stand corrected

Blimey - I had a look at the results in Google. I particularly liked the look of this recipe as it makes a small amount so you can try the method out.

Perhaps thats why I thought it unfeasible to use a Microwave - I usually make 8lbs at a time which is a huge panful.

A top tip is buy a years supply of seville oranges when available (Jan/Feb in UK) and freeze them so you can make fresh batches as the year progresses.

I never tried freezing oranges, might be a good tip, thank you!

I'm like you dgregory - the microwave recipes are for such small volumes it would take me longer to put up a year's worth of marmalade, jams and butters than just using my pot and a thermometer on the stove-top. I also can not see where a microwave oven would give me the "cooking control" that I get on the stove.

But, just because I've never tried using a microwave oven for jammin' doesn't mean it might not be a viable option for someone who only wants to make a small batch.

I'm in the "it's so easy in a pot, why worry about burning it in the microwave" camp.

With only the 2 of us, small quantities are all we need. We get given strawberries in season from a neighbours allotment, more than we can eat so I made some into jam.

The one we like best is the lemon curd. It's lovely, not too sweet and quite moreish!:)

My Dad makes a spectacular marmalade in the microwave. He prefers to make it in small batches - he finds preparing the oranges a bit of a chore nowadays so is quite happy to do it in smallish amounts at a time. Best marmalade I've ever had. I'll e-mail him for the recipe and post it here when I get it.

Snoop Puss said:
My Dad makes a spectacular marmalade in the microwave. He prefers to make it in small batches - he finds preparing the oranges a bit of a chore nowadays so is quite happy to do it in smallish amounts at a time. Best marmalade I've ever had. I'll e-mail him for the recipe and post it here when I get it.

That would be lovely Snoop Puss. I'll keep an eye out.:) Thanks

Back
Top Bottom