My TNT Tomato Vegetable Juice Blend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Here is the recipe I follow for pressure canning tomato plus juice. The proportions are the same, just doubled and tripled so I do not have to think when I head to the garden.

Tomato Juice, V6 or 5 or 7 Yield 4 Quarts

12 pounds tomatoes ¼ cup lemon juice
4 medium size carrots 2 T. honey
2 large sweet green or red peppers ½ t. black pepper
4 stalks calery, leaves included 2 bay leaves
2 onions 2 sprigs fresh basil and parsley
1 clove garlic 1 cayenne pepper chopped

Tomato juice Yield 8 quarts

24 pounds tomatoes ½ cup lemon juice
8 medium carrots 4 T. honey
4 large green peppers 1 t. black pepper
8 stalks celery 4 bay leaves
4 onions 4 sprigs basil and parsley
2 cloves garlic 2 cayenne peppers

Tomato Juice Yield 12 Quarts

36 pounds tomatoes ¾ cup lemon juice
12 medium carrots 6 T. honey
6 large peppers 1 1/2 t. black pepper
12 stalks celery 6 bay leaves
6 onions 6 sprigs basil and parlsey
3 cloves garlic 3 cayenne peppers

Wash tomatoes, rinse well. Blend in blender or food processor. Blend (liquify) other ingredients. Bring to a boil. Pour into sterilized jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Process at 11# pressure for 15 minutes (the most recent USDA recommendations I have) I remove the Bay Leaves before processing!!!

I add more garlic than given in this recipe, otherwise I follow this recipe.

I accidently posted this before I was ready, was trying to unscramble the ingredients to make it easier to read, but was not successful.

The technique I use to can tomatoes is not what is normally recommended. Often you are instructed to chop, core, dip in boiling water to remove skins, press through a seive to remove seeds and skins.......that stuff drives me crazy. I prefer to blenderize all the vegetables in a blender, heat the juice, then can. For the tomatoes, I really clean them, will scoop out the stem and and maybe slice off the butt end, depending if the tomato ends are dimpled or pointed. If they are dimpled then I slice that off because dirt could be trapped in the dimple. I quarter the tomatoes over the blender jar, as well as the other vegetables, and buzz them for at least 60 seconds, it takes that long to pulverize the seeds. I can tomatoes this way because I feel there is some nutritional value, as well as fiber, in the seeds and skins, and I have never liked any process that seperated the skins and seeds from the rest of the tomato, such as the popular Victoria Strainer. I can my tomato sauce this was also. For chili sauce, I use this same method only I stop the blender while the tomatoes are still chunky.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom