New Changes in Canning Lid Procedures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure I would just use them at room temperature, I feel like heating them also helps sterilize them, it's not like the lids are sealed in a sterile environment. Then again, most of mine don't sit on a shelf long enough to have a lid failure :)

I'm not sure I would just use them at room temperature, I feel like heating them also helps sterilize them, it's not like the lids are sealed in a sterile environment. Then again, most of mine don't sit on a shelf long enough to have a lid failure :)

If you're processing the batch in a hot-water bath, they will be sterilized then. No need to do it in advance. The instructions I have say to put the lids in a bowl of hot water taken from the canner which softens the seal but doesn't sterilize the lids.

My grandma use to simmer her lids but she reused them. She also water bath everything. I started canning 2 years ago and I never have. I like to cold pack use a pressure canner.

There are many ways to preserve food. Chemical, high fat, high acid... Heat preservation is all about time and temperature. you can sacrific some temperature for more time and vice versa. I work for one of the largest food manufacturers in NA and trust me, none of the lids or jars are pre sanitized (heated). Once the heat/time is sufficient to kill the bacteria in the food, that heat is also enough to sterilize the jars and lids. Not clean them, you still have to do that, just sterilize. Several items we pack hot, we simply invert the container for a period to sterilize the lid. Consult the USDA guidelines for how long and a what temperature you should preserve foods. National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications

Back
Top Bottom