Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be interested to hear the answers to this one.
Oxidation might have to be considered. Also not exactly sure why? If you explained what you need it for? as in how you would use it?

I think, personally, if I wanted access to onion flavouring without the hassle and not wanting to use granules - I would finely grate and store both the liquid and grated onion in plastic sandwich bags. Making sure ALL the air is out, lay flat and freeze.

That's just my first thoughts - I'm not awake yet.

Or just use onion granules/powder and add water?

Thanks everyone. My husband plants a large garden each year and my son hates onions but is fine with just the juice in foods. I thought I would get him to plant some in the fall and then juice them with my juicer but wasn’t sure if I could can just the juice.

Darlene, if you do can the juice, also keep the pulp from your juicer and dehydrate it (outside, so it doesn't smell up the house), then you'll have onion pulp dried. You can then grind the onion pulp dried and use it in cooking as well.

Is there anyway to preserve onion juice long term? Can it be canned?
Wow.
That´s a new one for me.
My first question when anyone asks me " Can it be canned(preserved)? " is
"Why would you want to do that?"
First of all, onions are not expensive and secondly, they last for ages in a cool, dark place, just hung up in strings .
If your husband has an excess crop, there are several things you could do. Firstly, make onion jam/conserve/chutney/marmalade. Great with cheeses and BBQs/Grills.
Secondly, dehydrate the onions - you can do that in the oven.
Thirdly, speak to your neighbours and swap onions for something else.
Fourthly, slice them, or dice them, and freeze them.

These are great ideas. I’ve never heard of onion jam. My freezers are pretty full and so I’m branching out into other ways to preserve foods. I’ve read that it will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I may just do that and dehydrate the pulp.

Hate onions or cannot tolerate onions?
I hate onions, my daughter cannot tolerate them. When I cook with her in mind, I do not put any onions. When I cook for me, I simply cut onions so small that by the time the dish is done you are not going to be able to see any onions.

CharlieD, he hates them. I usually cut them up big so that he can pick them out. Not sure if it’s the texture or just the strong flavor of the onion itself but he refuses to eat them. He even reads labels of some things and if it has dehydrated onions he won’t eat it. He’s fine with onion powder, I’m just not fond of the flavor of store bought onion powder. I haven’t tried making my own yet. I have started grating onion into a bowl and pouring the juice in. He’s fine with that. It could just be a mental thing but I’m just trying to find what works for all of us. I never cared much for onions in my younger years and did pretty much the same thing.

My grandaughter picks out the tiniest pieces she suspects might be onion. And believe me, my DIL can really chop'em up fine!

CharlieD, he hates them. I usually cut them up big so that he can pick them out. Not sure if it’s the texture or just the strong flavor of the onion itself but he refuses to eat them. He even reads labels of some things and if it has dehydrated onions he won’t eat it. He’s fine with onion powder, I’m just not fond of the flavor of store bought onion powder. I haven’t tried making my own yet. I have started grating onion into a bowl and pouring the juice in. He’s fine with that. It could just be a mental thing but I’m just trying to find what works for all of us. I never cared much for onions in my younger years and did pretty much the same thing.

I hear you.

Oddly enough, I´ve discovered that onions are another food item (like anchovies and cilantro) that people love or absolutely hate!
My wife, one of her uncles and one of her best friends hate onions, although if they´re chopped really small and cooked to hell, they don´t notice the difference.
I always thought that was wierd because, as a kid, we had boiled, fried, roasted, stuffed or raw onions almost every day, with some food or other. boiled onions with white sauce would always appear on the menu of school lunches. Fried onions were a must with hotdogs.
Roasted onions with Sunday Lunch , or onions stuffed with cheese and breadcrumbs, then roasted, were fairly common.
Standard "fast food" at uni was a cheddar cheese and onion roll.
I can´t imagine a world without onions.

I posted a story awhile back about my kids and spinach pie incident.
I always put diced onions in my spinach pie, and my kids would pick them out. They said they were too big.

The next time I made the spinach pie, I cut the onions into smaller pieces, and the kids complained that the pieces were too little to pick out.

The next time I made them, I left out the onions all together, and the kids complained it didnt taste the same .

Now, I went back to the original diced onions, and they can either pick them out, or make themselves something else to eat!!

Now any kids are adults, and like the onions just the way they are.

There's a moral in there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom