Pear Chutney or Jam recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mozkiwi

Assistant Cook
I had planned on making a pear/celery bisque for Christmas, but was a little too ambitious with the traditional "12 plates" for a Polish Christmas Eve... so now I have 14 beautiful bartlett pears that are starting to ripen a little too much and was wondering if anyone had a pear chutney or jam recipe they've tried that I could preserve? I'd hate to throw the pears out... and I have so much food in the house right now - I'm scrambling for cook and freeze recipes! Thanks! :wacko:

Here's one you might like to try:

Pear-Apple Jam

2 cups finely-chopped peeled cored pears, (abt 2 lbs)
1 cup finely-chopped peeled cored apples
6 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup bottled lemon juice
6 oz liquid pectin

1. Crush apples and pears in a large saucepan and stir in cinnamon. Thoroughly mix sugar and lemon juice with fruits and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard l minute, stirring constantly.

2. Remove from heat, quickly skim off foam, and fill hot, sterile jars leaving l/4-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

3. To sterilize empty jars, place them right side up on the rack in a boiling-water canner. Fill the canner and jars with hot (not boiling) water to 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Boil 10 minutes at altitudes of less than 1,000 feet. At higher elevations, boil 1 additional minute for each additional 1,000 feet elevation. Remove and drain hot sterilized jars one at a time as filled.

Yield: 7 to 8 half-pints

Recipe from Michigan State University Extension

-----------------------
Pear Butter

7 lbs medium pears, quartered, cored
4 cups sugar
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup orange juice

1. Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to manufacturer's instructions.

2. Cook pears until soft, adding only enough water to prevent sticking (about 1/2 cup). Press through sieve or food mill. Measure 2 quarts pulp; combine with sugar in a large saucepot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients, cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.

3. Carefully ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula. Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met -- fingertip tight.

4. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. At elevations higher than 1,000 feet, boil 2 additional minutes for each additional 1,000 feet elevation.

Yield: 4 pints

Source: Allistra Corporation's recipe archive at Homecanning.com -|- Your complete source for all home canning and home food preservation needs.

I have a recipe for spiced pear-apple jam that uses less sugar and no pectin. Let me know if you want it.

Here's my recipe for peach chutney. It should work for pears.

Approximate 3 lbs of peaches
2.5 cups of wine or cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup chopped, dried dates
1 cinnamon stick
1 Tblsp dried, crushed chilis

Heat the sugar and the vinegar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
Add all the other ingredients.
Bring it to a boil and simmer for about 1.5 hours, until very thick.
Stir occasionally.
Remove cinnamon stick.

Pour into jars and process as described by mcnerd above.
I used to process in a pressure canner for 8 minutes at 5 lbs pressure. I had better luck with all lids being firmly attached on the first try in the pressure canner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom