Pickl-It Jars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I ordered a set of five Pickl-It jars for doing natural brine pickles and vegetables. They should be here next week. Can't wait to try them. I have a Harsch Crock. But only got good pickles from it once. If the Pickl-It jars work I am sell the Harsch Crock.

Robert

Well, I ordered a set of five Pickl-It jars for doing natural brine pickles and vegetables. They should be here next week. Can't wait to try them. I have a Harsch Crock. But only got good pickles from it once. If the Pickl-It jars work I am sell the Harsch Crock.

Robert

Never seen those before, do my pickled the old fashioned way. Let us know how they work :) What pickles do you make?

Well, normally just kosher dills. However, with these we are going to do pickles using pickling and small green lemon cucumbers (about the size of golf balls), we are also going to try sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, and carrots. If these work we will get more jars and explore from there.

Btw, does anyone know of a good book that deals with naturally fermented vegetables, etc.?

Robert

Well, normally just kosher dills. However, with these we are going to do pickles using pickling and small green lemon cucumbers (about the size of golf balls), we are also going to try sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, and carrots. If these work we will get more jars and explore from there.

Btw, does anyone know of a good book that deals with naturally fermented vegetables, etc.?

Robert

Sounds good :) I love all pickles but sauerkraut is my favourite and shop bought is not the same. My gran tought me how to pickle, sorry have no idea what book is best. Most methods of natural fermentation are pretty much the same so finding one shouldn't be too hard

I am just going to use a regular fermented kosher dill pickle recipe. I want to pick them small and green. By the time they turn lemon yellow, aka ripen, they are to big and seedy. Even for eating raw they are better green and small.

Robert

Well, I got my Pickl-It jars, two 3 liter and three 1-1/2 liter. Oe arrived smashed and is being replaced quickly and at no cost by the manufacturer. The ave been great. I have sauerkraut, dill pickles, beets and carrots in. The beets and carrots are shredded for easier use on sandwiches and salads. All of the recipes I have used came from the http://www.Pickl-it.com site.

The jars were very easy to set up and four days in everything is going well. My only complaint about the pickles is that they have you add the dill and garlic a couple of days later. This is a problem as there isn't much room left. Next time I would add the at the start, it would be easier. I also used pacific sea salt from Penzy's spices. When I order more jars I plan to get some of Pickl-It's pink Himalayan sea salt to use.

So far I am quite happy and very excited.

Robert

I didn't look at the price, but those would be easy to make. The bubblers on top can be purchased from a wine/beer making shop--the last time I bought some they were about a dollar apiece.

Use wide mouth mason jars, and drill a hole thru the lid for the bubbler. You would have to figure out something to use to hold the veggies under the brine--some sort of glass weight.

Back
Top Bottom