Pickled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bumped this because I want to make a few pickled eggs for Easter and I am concerned about the sugar in my recipe. Do any of you have any thoughts on how much of the sugar is absorbed by the egg, could I leave it out, could I use a sugar substitute or maybe just reduce the amount of sugar.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I've never used sugar but many recipes do call for it to cut the harshness of the vinegar. The eggs will absorb the flavor of the 'brine' they are stored in. Adjust to meet your tastebuds. I'm not sure about artificial sweeteners which could taste different in a strong acid solution. The test is to experiment to find what you like.

I love pickled eggs. My mother never used sugar and I never do either. I don't like a strong pickle flavor. I just use juice from canned beets and add sliced onion and some vinegar. No one has ever complained. I usually make beet horseradish for Easter and I take the lazy way out and use canned sliced beets and mash them up. Then I use the juice that I drained off to make the pickled eggs. DH doesn't like them, but everyone else does. I don't think I'm making the beet horseradish this year, but I want some pickled eggs anyway. I don't like to let them soak too long because they get too rubbery.

I bumped this because I want to make a few pickled eggs for Easter and I am concerned about the sugar in my recipe. Do any of you have any thoughts on how much of the sugar is absorbed by the egg, could I leave it out, could I use a sugar substitute or maybe just reduce the amount of sugar.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I wouldn't use the sugar subs, they may act differently than sugar in a brine. It appears from quick Google that stevia and splenda work in brines.

I've made pickled eggs for years, do them with pickling spices, onion, beets, salt...no sugar, ever. Never even thought to add it.

I have been rummaging around in the icebox.

I think I will make a few using the juice from a jar of Mt Olive No Sugar Added Bread and Butter Chips and a few using the juice from a jar of Cora Pickled Hot Cherry Peppers. I will add some beet juice to both mixtures. I will also add a piece of a cinnamon stick and a few cloves to the sweet version. That should satisfy my Easter memories of red beet eggs without making too big a project out of it. Maybe toss a couple extra eggs in the pot for deviled eggs as long as the water is boiling. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks for your suggestions and comments!

I have been rummaging around in the icebox.

I think I will make a few using the juice from a jar of Mt Olive No Sugar Added Bread and Butter Chips and a few using the juice from a jar of Cora Pickled Hot Cherry Peppers. I will add some beet juice to both mixtures. I will also add a piece of a cinnamon stick and a few cloves to the sweet version. That should satisfy my Easter memories of red beet eggs without making too big a project out of it. Maybe toss a couple extra eggs in the pot for deviled eggs as long as the water is boiling. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks for your suggestions and comments!

Well, my hot pickled eggs were a bust! They were nicely pickled, but not even a hint of heat. They reminded me of the pickled eggs you used to see on the back bar in corner saloons. Next time I will add a tablespoon of red pepper flakes! The sweeter spiced version came out as expected.

This reminded me that I made some pickled eggs in the beet juice I had left over from the Beet Horseradish. Think I'll go have one now.

I feel like I'm the only one here this morning. Everyone must be busy with preparations. Guess I'll go put the ham in the oven.

I just had 2 pickled eggs with some Beet Horseradish. I make the Beet Horseradish pretty hot because we like to eat it on the Easter Cheese and on a slice of ham, so we want to be able to get the "kick." I accidentally tasted a spoonful of it straight, and I had to hang onto the counter. I thought I was going to either pass out or die on the spot! Guess I used enough horseradish. LOL

I don't like my pickled eggs hot though.

That happens to me when I have wasabi, I think my heart will stop!!! Let alone breathing fire.

I used to like hot foods, but not anymore. But I do love pickled eggs. I should make some for just myself. :angel:

(snip) I don't like to let them soak too long because they get too rubbery.

I just made some the lazy mans way by tossing the eggs in leftover pickled beet juice. Let them sit for 4 days as was recommended by the recipe/technique I read. I tried one and it was rubbery and the yoke was very dry. Figured it was something I tried and it didn't work.
Well me being a cheap SOB and not liking to waste food I took the remaining eggs to work for lunch a week later. Figured I'd choke em down with added hot sauce and it would be fuel for the day. To my surprise they were no longer rubbery and the yoke had absorbed the pickle and wasn't dry at all. They were quite good. Gave some to a coworker and he liked them too.
Now I need to experiment with pickled egg recipes to find a keeper. :yum:

Just always refrigerate ANY pickled egg recipe and, if the eggs are not placed in a sterilized jar with a boiled brine, keep the storage times short since you are dealing with a potentially contaminated brine solution to which is being diluted with a low-acid food.

Time to bump this poor old thread again! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Hippity, hoppity, Easter's on its way and I want to find a recipe for HOT/spicy pickled eggs. I tried making a few using the brine from a jar of hot peppers and that did not work. Do any of you have a TNT recipe for spicy pickled eggs that you could share?

I'm also thinking about making a small batch of these in addition to our traditional link of kielbasa! :pig:

My Pickled Little Smokies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Time to bump this poor old thread again! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Hippity, hoppity, Easter's on its way and I want to find a recipe for HOT/spicy pickled eggs. I tried making a few using the brine from a jar of hot peppers and that did not work. Do any of you have a TNT recipe for spicy pickled eggs that you could share?

I'm also thinking about making a small batch of these in addition to our traditional link of kielbasa! :pig:

My Pickled Little Smokies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I thought of cherry peppers first, instead of the brine, you should fine chop the peppers in place of pickle relish for the eggs.

Last edited:
I did this one today. My first time pickling eggs. There is a guy I know that owns a bar. His mother use to make pickled eggs for happy hour. They were so good she couldn't keep them in stock. She passed away 10 years ago or so. We were talking about her and that's what prompted me to make my own.

DILLED EGGS
1½ cups white vinegar
1 cup water
¾ teaspoon dill weed
¼ teaspoon white pepper
3 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon mustard seed
½ teaspoon onion juice or minced onion
½ teaspoon minced garlic or 1 peeled garlic clove

Back
Top Bottom