Pickled Green Beans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't stand it anymore. Had to pop the top on a jar. The beans were perfect, crunchy, garlicky, and hot!

And now the contents of one jar is missing.

If you are going to indulge in a whole jar of something that sounds like a darned good option.

I am canning more beans today, I hope. I love picked veggies, but I keep the heat to a minimum. I want to taste the veggies, not burn up my taste buds! I put a few pepper flakes in, but just for a slight oomph to the veg flavor.

Sure. It's from the Ball Blue Book.

THE CRISPY COOK: Canning Dilly Beans

I used red pepper flakes and dill seed instead of dill heads. I also used a combination of white and cider vinegar.

How much Dill Seed are you adding to each jar?
Is it 50/50 on the white and cider vinegar?
I want to make these for my Mother was does not can,
but loves Dilly Beans.

I think I put in a teaspoon of dill seed. The ratio of water and vinegar is the same in the Ball recipe. This year I used the recipe from Summer in a Jar, I'll PM it to you. It uses 1 cup vinegar to 1/2 cup water.

I think the important thing about vinegar isn't what kind you use, but that it is at least 5% acetic acid. The kind may affect flavour. The percentage of acetic acid affects safety.

I tried Dilly Beans twice now but they didn't come out right, Mom said they didn't have enough Dill taste to them, too much vinegar taste, put her teeth on edge, as you mentioned.
I can't find dill heads here in the middle of the desert, but I can get dried dill and seeds.
How would rice vinegar work do you think?

I tried Dilly Beans twice now but they didn't come out right, Mom said they didn't have enough Dill taste to them, too much vinegar taste, put her teeth on edge, as you mentioned.
I can't find dill heads here in the middle of the desert, but I can get dried dill and seeds.
How would rice vinegar work do you think?
I would be cautious. I don't think most rice vinegar has enough acetic acid. It should say the percentage of acetic acid on the bottle.

I would stick to 5% acidity. As Taxy said, rice vinegar wouldn't be acidic enough. I wonder if the beans you made didn't sit long enough. The most recent recipe I used states to not open them for 6 weeks.

Oh, and I misread your question about vinegar. Yes, I used half cider and half white vinegar. You can use either or both.

Last edited:
Okay, so, I've looked high and low (well, I have one more place that I'll check out tomorrow) and I can't find Pickling and Canning Salt.
I was reading a few ".edu" type sites and what I found is I could use Kosher Salt, but I have to weight it out to equate the Canning Salt.
Any thoughts?

Okay, so, I've looked high and low (well, I have one more place that I'll check out tomorrow) and I can't find Pickling and Canning Salt.
I was reading a few ".edu" type sites and what I found is I could use Kosher Salt, but I have to weight it out to equate the Canning Salt.
Any thoughts?
The important thing about the salt you use in pickling is that it should not have any iodine, like table salt does. That's why you can use kosher salt. Yes, you have to convert to weight. The different pickling salts have different sized crystals and kosher salt has another size of crystals. The best way to get an accurate amount of salt is by weight. If you have a recipe for a specific brand of salt, then volume measure works. But, when you are switching brands/types of salt, you need to know how much that volume weighs.

Huh. That's strange, all our grocery stores here carry pickling/canning salt. It might not be with the regular salt, but maybe next to the canning supplies.

Kosher salt should work, as long as it's not iodized. Table salt won't hurt you, just might leave some sediment. You can even leave the salt out, as long as you have vinegar, but the salt adds a nice taste.

Last edited:
Our grocery stores have pickling/canning salt on the bottom shelf under the spices. Morton is the brand I use. Table salt can make the liquid cloudy.

Any thoughts?

Amazon. They have everything. And if they don't have it you don't need it. :D

And with Prime you have it quickly.

YAY!

Okay, so I took one more trip down the road a piece
(about 30 minutes from our house)
and finally found Morton's Pickling and Canning Salt
$1.48 + tax for a 4 pound box
I think that I'll be set in canning for the next few years :shock:
I made 6 pint jars for Mom as part of her Christmas gift
(she's already sent me her wish list of mainly food items as she no longer lives with us, but a good 9 hour car trip away)
So this is one of the few items that I've already put up for her
011.JPG
Does this look okay?
I suppose we'll find out in December how they taste.
@Dawgluver, I used the recipe from the Ball book, 2times the recipe of liquids just to be sure I had enough brine

Looks awesome, K-girl! Great job!

Now the trick will be to leave them alone for 6 weeks. If you can do that, your willpower is stronger than mine ;)

@Dawgluver, Mahalo, thank you, they're going into the sideboard in the dinning room along with the rest of Mom's gifts, to hide in the dark until Thanksgiving, when we'll drive out to see her.
... but here's a question?
I heard the 6 "pings" of the lids vaccum-sealing themselves, but there's this saline discharge on the side of the jars...
Is this okey-dokey?

Should be. As long as the jars pinged, they sealed. Wash them off after they've sat overnight.

Back
Top Bottom