Pickled Green Beans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
image-4219488174.jpg

I had a veritible plethora of beans.

Last edited:
Ooh, yum and pretty. Too bad Stirling doesn't like green beans.

Thanks Taxy! I used to make them as gifts, sibs called them "sinkies" as they would stand over the sink and eat the whole jar....

They look great Dawg, I make them for gifts too my son in law "begs" for them every year. Our beans aren't ready yet tho :(. And I'm not sure if the deer and the rabbits are going to leave enough to bother with, drat!

Thanks Bunny! Unbelievably, the deer and wabbits have left them alone so far. Usually I have to replant a few times.

These produce a crisp bean, which I love. There are other recipes that call for blanching and shocking the beans, you could probably do that if you want a softer bean. I recall my dad saying his pickled beans were never the right texture, like his mom, my grandmother's, were. He boiled them before pickling, of course they were soft! :LOL:

If you don't like spicy, or garlicy, or even dilly, you can leave those out. Grandma used to just pickle hers in vinegar and pickling salt. They would set your teeth on edge, but we loved them.

Oops, scratch the leaving out the garlic, you won't do that, GG!

Last edited:
Thanks! They are great in a Bloody Mary or Bloody Caesar, along with or instead of, a piece of celery. They're served like that in some places in New Orleans.

You'll love them! You can make as many or as few jars as you would like. I've done just 2 jars before.

I couldn't stand it anymore. Had to pop the top on a jar. The beans were perfect, crunchy, garlicky, and hot!

And now the contents of one jar is missing.

They look (and sound!) delicious! The birds haven't left me enough to pickle this year. May need to hit the farmer's market next week. We love them in bloody mary's and I love chopping a handful up and adding to macaroni salad.

I had a plethora of beans this year, too. (nothing else grew "worth beans"!) I've tried several dilled bean recipes, but all call for water bath processing. I don't like the looks of mine. Will have to try your recipe. I always use a dill head as I think the seeds are a bit bitter. And I put in garlic.

Back
Top Bottom