Pickled Okra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FredW

Assistant Cook
Hi I am new here and this is my first post. I have a gallon jar of pickled okra and haven't opened it because it needs refrigerated after opening. Would pressure canning it in quart jars work or would it probably turn to mush. Thanks.

That's pretty much what I figured. I may put them in smaller containers and share with the neighbors. Thanks for the reply.

Welcome to the forum, Fred!

I'm assuming that you bought that okra, or you would have used smaller jars, to begin with? Like the others, I definitely wouldn't re-process it, even in a water bath, which would probably be safe, since that's what is used in commercial pickles, but they would get soft. Good idea to find some friends to give some to, where you could eat some with them, too!

I have to find a good recipe for pickled okra, as I'm harvesting a generous amount of it. I just sliced, blanched, and froze 4 pints of it today. I'm sure that I would use pint jars for pickles.

I'm assuming that you bought that okra, or you would have used smaller jars, to begin with? Like the others, I definitely wouldn't re-process it, even in a water bath, which would probably be safe, since that's what is used in commercial pickles, but they would get soft.

Just FYI, it's not always possible to make the same kinds of pickles at home as they make commercially. Manufacturers have different equipment available that cools and pressurizes foods in ways that aren't possible at home.

Thanks Dave, I was pretty sure that canning them was a bad idea but thought I would throw it out there anyway. I like pickled okra but a gallon is a lot. I messaged a few friends and hopefully I can make smaller jars and hand them out. I too make pickles and eat lots of them but with the okra a little bit goes a long way.

I finally got around to making some pickled okra today - first time I've tried this. I found a recipe by Alton Brown that looked good, so I tried that one.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pickled-okra-recipe-2040456

I only made 3 pints - actually, half liters, because those jars were slightly taller, so the okra fit in better. I only changed it by using 2 small crushed cloves of garlic in each jar, instead of one, one on bottom, then another on top, after packing it. I added a half tsp. of calcium chloride to one of the jars, to see if it makes any difference with these. I put about half the stems down, and half up, to pack as tight as possible, but the amount of pickling solution was still not enough (I made up 3/4 of a recipe, for the 3 jars) - I had to quickly make up some more, for the last jar. I processed them for 10 min. - the recipe doesn't call for this, but most do, and I won't be eating them quickly!
A dry run on packing the okra in the half liter jars. About 7 oz per jar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A packed jar of pickled okra, before processing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pickled okra. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll store these 3 weeks before trying them.

Anybody else here pickle okra?

Back
Top Bottom