Pickled red cabbage recipe for fish tacos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyH

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a recipe for pickled red cabbage to be used on fish tacos.
Since it will mostly be used for tacos, I don't need to make a huge batch. I'm thinking of doing several small jars, (jam size) so that I can just open one when I make tacos and not have a big our wasting away in the fridge.
Anybody have a favourite recipe to share?

I wouldn't want canned cabbage on fish tacos. It would be soft after canning and, the cabbage is the crunch for fish tacos. I like my taco cabbage freshly shredded, tossed with a lemon vinaigrette and chopped cilantro leaves. To can it would make mush of the cabbage, more like sauerkraut and, if that's the case, might as well use sauerkraut.

I wouldn't want canned cabbage on fish tacos. It would be soft after canning and, the cabbage is the crunch for fish tacos. I like my taco cabbage freshly shredded, tossed with a lemon vinaigrette and chopped cilantro leaves. To can it would make mush of the cabbage, more like sauerkraut and, if that's the case, might as well use sauerkraut.
I don't think she's asking about canning them but making refrigerator pickles. I don't have a recipe for them, though.

Hi Happy and welcome to DC. Saw your post a couple days ago but thought you'd get better advice from members more experienced with canning. Where I live most folks like slaw on pulled pork sandwiches. Would also be great on tacos. If you haven't found what you're looking for yet, you could search slaw recipes and sub red cabbage if necessary. I saw Martha Stewart posted one that you might substitute Cumin for whichever seed she suggested.

Or cabbage in spanish is repollo and you can google that or enter it into the YouTube search box and get a lot of ideas.

Salvdoran pupusa is dish akin to tacos and they are commonly stuffed with a cabbage "slaw", sometimes red, that is often pickled. They call it curtido. So "pupusa" "repollo" and "curtido" are three more search terms that should lead to what you're looking for.

Sorry I don't have a tried and true recipe of my own to give you but maybe this will help.

Standard brine for refrigerator pickles is 3 c. water, 3 TBS kosher salt, 6 TBS white vinegar. Stir until all the salt dissolves, then pour over cuke wedges or other vegetable in a jar with pickling spices and garlic pieces to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days. It will keep for a couple of weeks. The cukes go limp after 2 weeks, but I bet red cabbage would last even longer.

And while we're talking about cabbages and taco fillings I just noticed this article in New York Times Magazine. Why You Should Burn Your Vegetables is about literally burning to black the outer leaves on a cabbage head, then peeling off the black and using whats underneath. I've seen this, and done it, with onions, tomatoes, and tomatillos but never heard of doing it with cabbage. The article goes on to talk about shredding the unburnt cabbage, adding crema and, optionally cilantro, hot sauce, adobo, lime, etc.
At the end, there are links to the cooking.nytimes site recipes for Hot Slaw, Mexican-Style and homemade Crema made with sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt.

I remember recent discussions about the NYT limiting access to cooking.nyt to subscribers but guessing there is some number of articles you can access for free.

Standard brine for refrigerator pickles is 3 c. water, 3 TBS kosher salt, 6 TBS white vinegar. Stir until all the salt dissolves, then pour over cuke wedges or other vegetable in a jar with pickling spices and garlic pieces to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 3 days. It will keep for a couple of weeks. The cukes go limp after 2 weeks, but I bet red cabbage would last even longer.

The recipes I'm familiar with typically call for bringing the ingredients to a boil and then pouring the hot brine over the vegetables in the jars. That helps the resulting pickles last longer.

I make Rick Bayless's recipe for pickled red onions for a taco and nacho topping. It includes Mexican oregano and calls for cider vinegar.

Why do you want to put pickled red cabbage on fish tacos? That's not kosher, so to speak. Here is a recipe for a cabbage topping for fish tacos, especially Baja style fish tacos, my personal favorite:

Baja Style Fish Taco Topping​

Ingredients:

8 oz shredded cabbage
1 Tbs minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dry mustard
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs sour cream
1 Tbs Tapatío or Cholula hot sauce, or to taste. (You can use Tabasco, but if you do, reduce the vinegar by half)
1 Tbs agave nectar
1 Tbs white vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:

Place the cabbage in a bowl, add the onion, garlic and mustard and toss to combine.

In a second bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, hot sauce, agave nectar, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

Add the mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage mixture and mix well to combine. Adjust seasoning as desired.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom