Pickling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
I have a recipe for pickeld eggs and i am wondering if i can use something else besides eggs to be pickled. For instance baby cucumbers or something

here is the ingredients for the pickling brine

cider vinegar
sugar
red peppers
pickling spice

thanx

i've pickled grn. beans! (with garlic too) carrots sound delish, & try oickling cukes, i've fridge-pikled those & they were DELICIOUS.

LT,
Have a look in the canning section,It's a whole new world over there :)

Munky.

If you want a quickie pickled egg, just boil and peel a few, then drop them into
the leftover pickle juice from your favorite pickles.
Give them a few days to soak and yummmmm....

well im not a big fan of pickled eggs, but love the brine recipe my neighbor gave me. thats why im wondering what vegis a re good to pickle

As long as the brine is brought to a boil and then poured over the veggie pieces and stored in the refrigerator, almost any veggie can be pickled.

That leftover pickle juice should also be boiled before adding fresh low-acid foods to it, otherwise you might see things growing it in sooner than you like, unless you have a habit of eating them all within a few days.

As long as the brine is brought to a boil and then poured over the veggie pieces and stored in the refrigerator, almost any veggie can be pickled.

That leftover pickle juice should also be boiled before adding fresh low-acid foods to it, otherwise you might see things growing it in sooner than you like, unless you have a habit of eating them all within a few days.

nice thanks

Yes, some would do better being blanched first to stop the enzyme activity, but not all require it. I would research each vegetable with a simple search ("pickling ______") and see what the usual practice is.

You generally want to slice them as thin as possible so the pickling brine will penetrate in a reasonable period. The thicker the pieces the longer you will have to wait for infusion to occur.

That depends on the size, YT. Tiny baby carrots or small cukes are OK whole. Otherwise, you need to slice them, either crosswise, diagonally, or into sticks. Other possibilities are cauliflower florets, whole baby okra, sliced green tomatoes, blanched green beans, or any kind of pepper.

By the way, the cauliflower florets go great with pickle beets. It turns a beautiful shade of bright pink that makes a great accent for an antipasto plate.

I think you should check out the some other recipes...Some vegies require special treatment. For instance, sliced cukes are usually salted and covered with ice before pickling.

My favorite sweet brine is:

1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tbl mixed pickling spice (optional)

Mix all, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Pour hot liquid over prepared vegies in jars, seal and can in boiling water bath or refrigerate.

If you want a salty one, search out my post "pick a peck'a pickled peppers" on the canning forum.

That depends on the size, YT. Tiny baby carrots or small cukes are OK whole. Otherwise, you need to slice them, either crosswise, diagonally, or into sticks. Other possibilities are cauliflower florets, whole baby okra, sliced green tomatoes, blanched green beans, or any kind of pepper.

By the way, the cauliflower florets go great with pickle beets. It turns a beautiful shade of bright pink that makes a great accent for an antipasto plate.

I think you should check out the some other recipes...Some vegies require special treatment. For instance, sliced cukes are usually salted and covered with ice before pickling.

My favorite sweet brine is:

1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tbl mixed pickling spice (optional)

Mix all, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Pour hot liquid over prepared vegies in jars, seal and can in boiling water bath or refrigerate.

If you want a salty one, search out my post "pick a peck'a pickled peppers" on the canning forum.

thanx, i will look into that. i want to try this out and see if i like it

I planted cucumbers, so will look forward to making pickles in the fall. I like to make a 7-day sweet pickle.

Back
Top Bottom