Pickling Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I made pickles this year...same as many other years...and the jars didn't seal! Am I doomed? Is there any salvaging the pickles? Help!

There are an awful lot to keep refrigerated! I usually put em in the fridge once they are open...but I would like to leave them on the shelf til then. Come on picklers I know you are out there. Can I reseal these babies or am I asking for botulism?

I've searched the net and it seems to be the theory that wins is DO NOT RESEAL the jars - it is unsafe. It says to refrigerate them :? Or possibly give as gifts for that oh so special holiday known as Saturday :roll: :mrgreen:

Im sorry Alix.
3.gif
All that hard work...... :(

I'm looking forward to reading lots of new recipes using pickles. ;) Pickle Noodle Casserole, Pickle Pate', Stuffed Pickles, Pickle Pudding... LOL

I'm sorry that happened Alix. How many jars are there? As industrious as you are, probably dozens!

:) Barbara

Did any of them seal??? My parents had always resealed theirs when they didnt seal, but I guess it would depend on the time in between. How can you ask for botulism when it's acid? I would have trtied to reseal em....all the years my parents have been doing it, and well we've never gotten sick...

A couple of them sealed...but at least 4 didn't. How did they reseal? Start from scratch or just hot water bath?

These are some things I found:

Michigan State University Extension
Preserving Food Safely - 01600593
08/03/99

REPROCESSING UNSEALED JARS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a jar fails to seal, remove the lid and check the
jar-sealing surface for tiny nicks. If necessary, change
the jar, add a new, properly prepared lid, and reprocess
within 24 hours using the same processing time. Headspace
in unsealed jars may be adjusted to 1 1/2 inch and jars
could be frozen instead of reprocessed. Foods in single
unsealed jars could be stored in the refrigerator and
consumed within several days.
===============================================

I checked many other sources also and they all said this exact same quote. I guess you can't really freeze pickles :-(

Just to give you the low down in case it happens to you...if your jars don't seal when you make pickles...you need to either eat them fast (keep in the fridge) or you need to start from scratch...resterilize jars etc etc...ARGH!

Back
Top Bottom