Pizza Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
I used to work at a pizza place years back, but we always made fresh marinara and sauce every day or two.
Nowadays I buy my own at the grocer for a few bucks in a jar.

How long to keep if its jarred and refrigerated (opened)?

What if theres mold on the cap, but the sauce below appears fine?

I admittingly saw some mold on the cap but used the sauce for a mini pizza the other day, then pitched it. I was desperate for some sausage pizza for lunch, I didnt make anyone else a guinea pig.

I always use about half a jar on my pizza, and just put the jar in the freezer. I don't think half a jar would crack as it froze, because of all the air space, but just in case, leave the cap loose till the sauce is frozen.

A jar of sauce should be good for about a week after being opened if kept refrigerated. Moldy food, or food in a container growing mold on the lid, should be tossed - without smelling or tasting it!

As for storage of leftovers - storing a whole jar in the freezer that is only half full is a half a jar of wasted space. Depending on how much you will be using at one time - I would put it into 1 or maybe divide it up between 2 or 3 zip-top freezer bags. Just put the sauce in the bag and seal it almost all the way shut - carefully squeeze out as much air as you can and finish sealing. You can then lay the bag(s) flat in the freezer until frozen and then store upright if you wish. This is the most space efficient method that I know. This is how I store my homemade tomato sauces, stews, chili, etc. And, a flat slab of something will thaw quicker than a block of something.

Thanks for the tips folks.

Just so you know, the old sauce is tossed and I boughts new sauce at lower cost.

Hows that for a rhyme?

Back
Top Bottom