Pomegranate Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentmeow

Senior Cook
I wanted to make a batch this Fall so I bought a jar of the concentrated juice by Cortas. Can I use that right out of the bottle or should it be diluted? I have always cooked and strained my own berries for the juice and store the juice in the freezer 'til I want to make the jelly. I'm getting tired of processing food, the freezers are full and the garden is empty Guess that is why I bought the bottle of pomegranate juice! I did read somewhere that the dry pectin is better than the liquid for pomegranate jelly. Any advise would be appreciated.

I've never even heard of pomegranate jelly. I have a few on my counter already and may try that. I love the taste of the fruit and the seeds look like jewels.

Humm ... this sounds interesting. Since it is a concentrate (water has been removed) you will need to add water back to it to get it near the level of the juice from the fresh fruits. From what I could find on pomegranate concentrates 1-qt of concentrate can make 6-8 qts juice - thats a 1 part concentrate to 5-7 parts water mixture. I would follow the instructions on the bottle you have. If you want to intensify the flavor a little, use a little less water.

Also, from what I have been able to find about using reconstituted fruit juices to make jelly - you'll need to use a recipe that uses added pectin (powered or liquid). I did a quick search on Google and found several here - if you don't already have one.

Michael.....thanks for your help. I couldn't find any instructions on the bottle, Cortas brand from Lebanon. Just checked it again with a spy glass, sometimes these bifocals play tricks! I will just use your ratios and see if the results are edible. Thank you so much for your help. I'll keep you posted. Suzanne

Sorry that it took so long to get back with the update! I used you ratio Michael and it set up wonderfully. Made three batches of elderberry and one of the pomegranate. The elderberry was fantastic but not sure I would waste the effort on the pom. again. The flavor had no "depth" or richness I guess would be a better word. Live and learn, I will keep trying to find ways to use the pomegranate as it is very healthy.

I made pomegranite jelly this fall from my own pomegranites. I juiced them by cutting them like they were oranges and then I juiced them on an electric orange juicer. At first the cloudy juice was somewhat acidic and puckery, but when I let the 1+ gallon of juice settle in the fridge for a couple of days in a clean glass bottle, I could see at least a couple of cups of whitish stuff settled on the bottom of the jar. After settling, the juice lost it's puckery-ness and was a normal, drinkable sweet-sourness and had lost all the puckery flavor. I guess the puckeryness was from the solids that had settled out.

The juice above made a nice clear jelly too, and I did not filter at all! As I am lazy, the settling method I describe above works perfectly for pomegranites. Plus, juicing on an electric orange juicer is much faster!

Back
Top Bottom