Potassium Nitrate (Saltpeter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BubbaGourmet

Senior Cook
I am determined to make my own corned beef. The kind we can buy is virtually flavorless and I am convinced I can do better! The only problem is I cannot find a source for food grade (important) potassium nitrate. It is not really necessary but it does allow the meat to retain that pink color and She Who Must Be Obeyed has opined that she will NOT eat gray corned beef! Thus, my dilemma. If anyone knows where to get this stuff PLEASE let me know. I have tried the internet with no success. Thanks one and all!

Last edited:
Bob;
Thought about doing just that but I prefer to control the salt myself. May have to go that route, but only as a last resort. Thanks!

oops, u.b., you're quite right.

sorry for the confusion. apparently, it's better used as a "shoe sprinkle".
(what the heck is that?)

Saltpetre for food is now very restricted (its a controlled substance here in the UK) - it's turned into a badddy. From what I've read you mat be able to get some but butchers are now using other things to do their curing. If you speak to your local butcher, he may be able to give you some advice.

I bought a bottle of saltpeter at my local drugstore the other day.
Stan

As Bob has pointed out most of the saltpeter available is NOT food grade. Most of it is in pellet form for use as a fertilizer. Kitchenelf, very good to see you still here! Anyway like MOST ingredients that cookbooks or TV shows recommend you get from a drugstore, around here they look at you like you got 2 heads when you ask for it. The search continues. By the way, that sausage maker site won't come up, but I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks all!

It seems like it was about a year ago that we had a similar discussion. Here is what I remember that I learned from that ...

1) You're going to be hard pressed to find saltpeter in a pharmacy these days. Since it can be used to make bombs there are a lot of new government regulations on its sale ... and every pharmacy I contacted simply quit selling it - and will not order it for you.

2) The difference between Food Grade and Pharmaceutical Grade depends on the regulating agency. Food Grade is reguladed by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), Pharmaceutical (drug) Grade is regulated by the USP (United States Pharmacopeia). Like with mineral oil - both are equally consumable.

3) The potassium nitrate you get from a gardening center is NOT food or drug grade and should not be used in the preparation or preservation of food. Same goes for the Lab Grade you can find on the internet.

4) The site that Auntdot posted, along with some other sausage supply sites, used to carry potassium nitrate about a year ago - but a search on their sites now comes up empty.

BubbaGourmet - you may want to read this article at Meat Science & Meat Sense (read the section under Nitrates and Nitrites). Since "corned" beef is salt cured beef (the "corned" goes back to the English term of "corn" used to refer to "grains" of things ... on this case it's grains of salt) you might want to reconsider Uncle Bob's suggestion of using Morton Tender Quick which is very easy to find in most grocery stores. You might find the Homemade Corned Beef information at this site to be of some help.

you`ll find the stuff on eBay is what`s knows as Technical grade (used in Pyro).
it`s only one grade up from Agricultural grade! *YUCK*
after Technical grade you move up to reagent grade, then Food grade then Pharma grade then Analytical grade, but you`re looking at Mega bucks for a few grams of AR grade!

Food or Pharma grade is fine or anything above that.

Back
Top Bottom