Preserving kraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Bailey

Assistant Cook
Can anyone give me some tips on preserving sourkraut? It only lasts for a while and then gets soft. I've tried canning but it didn't work. Maybe not processed long enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can you explain what you did that "didn't work?"

I've always canned sauerkraut using the hot pack method, which calls for heating the fermented kraut, packing it into sterilized jars, and then processing in a water bath. Processing time will vary depending on the size of the jars.

Can you explain what you did that "didn't work?"

I've always canned sauerkraut using the hot pack method, which calls for heating the fermented kraut, packing it into sterilized jars, and then processing in a water bath. Processing time will vary depending on the size of the jars.

wouldn't heating in fact make cabbage soft?

wouldn't heating in fact make cabbage soft?
Any canning method requires heat in order to make it shelf stable. You can use the hot pack or raw pack method, but both still involve heating it. I prefer the hot pack method because I think it gives you more control. I've kept kraut for up to two years using this method, and haven't found it to be too soft as a result.

The other option is to just pack it raw into jars and refrigerate it. It will keep for quite a while like that. Plus you get the benefit of active cultures. Personally, I think it tastes better this way, but obviously your shelf life is going to be much shorter.

Last edited:
I guess the next question is what is considered "soft". The store bought kraut is definitely soft for my taste. I make kraut and from the start to the time it is ready t eat is like 3-4 days, depending how hot is the house. It is still pretty crunchy. Then it goes in refrigerator. I can't tell how long it would less, I eat it long before that time. :)

I ferment it a little longer myself, generally about 2 weeks. My ex-BIL makes it and ferments his for about a month.

Homemade kraut is the best. I've sometimes stood by the refrigerator eating it right out of the jar with a fork. :yum:

I ferment it a little longer myself, generally about 2 weeks. My ex-BIL makes it and ferments his for about a month.

Homemade kraut is the best. I've sometimes stood by the refrigerator eating it right out of the jar with a fork. :yum:

I'm with you there. I do the same thing. There's lots of good bacteria in kraut that aids the stomach and blood, as well as antioxidents.

Last edited:
Although Ive never tried it, the woman at my local Pickle store, who also sells sauerkraut says you can freeze it. It usually goes way too quick in my house.

I also make my own. I like it at all phases from day 1 to 2 weeks. Usually, like Charlie, mine is usually ready to go in about 3 or 4 days ( house temperature being the main variable). after about 1 -2 weeks, into the fridge it goes ( assuming there is any left).

Although Ive never tried it, the woman at my local Pickle store, who also sells sauerkraut says you can freeze it. It usually goes way too quick in my house.

I also make my own. I like it at all phases from day 1 to 2 weeks. Usually, like Charlie, mine is usually ready to go in about 3 or 4 days ( house temperature being the main variable). after about 1 -2 weeks, into the fridge it goes ( assuming there is any left).

Please share your recipe!

Here is the site where I got the recipe from.
Its pretty easy and basic, but works.

How To Make Homemade Sauerkraut in a Mason Jar | Kitchn

Basic recipe is

1 head of cabbage
1 1/2 Tbs Kosher salt
(1 Tbs Caraway seeds, which I don't add)

Basically, shred the cabbage ( I like it really fine)
Sprinkle salt on the shredded cabbage and mix in.
Leave it for a little while as the cabbage breaks down. You will notice the cabbage will wilt and liquid will form at the bottom of the bowl.
Pack the cabbage and liquid in a jar.
**Cabbage needs to be completely submerged under the liquid**
Just sprinkling the salt never left enough liquid to cover the cabbage, so you can add more salted water ( 1 tsp/ cup of water) . Use that ratio to make sure cabbage completely covered. Sometimes I use something to keep the cabbage submerged . Most the time i just kinda push it down with my hands ( a few times a day, which is ok cause I taste it a few times a day anyway).
Takes about 3 or 4 days. Sometimes up to a week or so.
After this ( if there is any left) i just put it in the fridge.
***Works best in normal room temps or a little cooler***
In the summer months, if the room gets a little on the warmer side, it could get mushy or a funky taste or even rot, so keep close eye on it.

In general, its a no brainer, Just shred ,salt and mix cabbage, place in a jar, cover with salted water (1 tsp/ cup water) and let sit a few days , making sure cabbage submerged

If anyone does anything significantly different, Id love to hear other techniques or variations for a change or to improve upon what I do .

Back
Top Bottom