"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pressure canning Caldo De Res

I use an All American pressure canner. I prepared the broth and precooked the beef. I'm trying to can Caldo De Res without over cooking the vegetables. I'm going to pour into the jar the broth, cooked beef and raw uncooked veggies. My hope is that the pressure cooker will cook the veggies and they will not be as mushy or over cooked.

JRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Half gallon jar

Not sure what happen. This is a half gallon jar. I left about 1/2 space. I lost about 2 inches of broth and the lid bent. I immediately tightened the ring after removing the jar from the pressure canner and it still got a tight seal. The lid popped down with the suction. The beef was the only precooked food in the jar. The potatoes, onions, carrots and green beans were raw. I'm hoping the pressure canning process was enough to cook the veggies. I'm not sure what the canning rule is with space. 2 inch of air space, I hope its not too much to preserve properly. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JAR.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	26051  
Old 01-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

You didn't have a question in your first post so I assumed you were familiar with canning. You really need to read about it and thoroughly understand the process and the rules before canning, especially meat.

First, there are no safe canning instructions for a half gallon jar, only pints and quarts.

Second, you lost broth? That gives me the impression that the lid was not tightened enough, or, if you got some liquid on the edge of the top of the jar and didn't wipe it off, it may have allowed broth from the jar to boil out during the canning process.

Third, you left two inches of head space? The couple recipes I looked at for vegetable beef soup call for 1 inch of head space.

How long did you can it? Did you use an approved, tested recipe?

Here are some reliable resources for canning:

- http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/ug...s_canners.html

- http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/soups.html

- http://www.sbcanning.com/2012/01/pre...beef-soup.html

- http://www.sbcanning.com/p/pressure-canning-safely.html
Old 01-23-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I have been canning off and on maybe 20 years. Mostly pickled green beans, asparagus, carrots, etc. I just recently started using a pressure canner for soups. I started with 1/2 inch and ended up with 2 inches of space. I was at 15 PSI for 90 minutes at just over 1000 ft. elevation. My assumption is the lid was not tight enough. I better stick with quarts and pints. Maybe 1/2 gallon is too much. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I have read that proper tightening is only finger tight. If excessive tight when the contents in the jar begin to boil and the lids are supposed to vent some of this pressure out inside the canner. If lids are too tight the pressure may warp damage the lids and the contents may woosh out instead of a slow venting. If too tight for that, the jar may burst. My guess is the lid was too tight during canning. This is from some of the reading I have been doing.
pmalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canning