Pressure cooking beets, tips/advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper226

Assistant Cook
I wish to pressure cook some beets in order to "preserve" them in mason jars. My plan is to cook them and leave them in the pressure cooker at a cool temperature for a couple of days before continuing. At this point, I would continue.

Would this work?
:mellow:

I had the same thought which is why I left off. The contents of the pressure cooker reached 250 degrees F. so if the lid was left on, would the contents be sterile?

It's a bit of a moot point right now as my wife was using the kitchen to do cakes. I'll have time this week to do the beets.

So to be clear, you want to pressure-cook beets, leave them in the pressure cooker for a couple of days, and then can them? At what temperature will you be storing them?

Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable telling you that this would be a safe thing to do. I would either can them the same day or store them in the refrigerator or iced down in a cooler until you can do the canning.

Why cook them in a pressure cooker?

And why let them sit out at room temperature for days -- no matter what you are going to do with them?

I cooked the beets in a pressure cooker because it's faster.

This is what I did. I cooked the beets in the pressure cooker yesterday and allowed them to cool overnight in the walk in refrigerator (the garage, I live in Canada).

I processed them this morning. :)

I cooked the beets in a pressure cooker because it's faster.

This is what I did. I cooked the beets in the pressure cooker yesterday and allowed them to cool overnight in the walk in refrigerator (the garage, I live in Canada).

I processed them this morning. :)

It would help us to help you if you would give us as much information as possible in the beginning :) You said initially you were going to leave them for a couple of days at a "cool" temperature, and then you didn't respond when I asked what temperature that was. I live in Virginia; to me, "cool" is about 60°F.

FYI, the "danger zone" where pathogens grow fastest is between 41 an 135°F.

Also, when you let veggies cool before processing them, it takes them longer to reach the boiling point for processing. Not sure you're saving much time overall.

Back
Top Bottom