Processing Bormioli jars vs Ball question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rparrny

Senior Cook
Although they are about twice the price I love the Italian Bormioli jars for my jam...they are just so pretty and I love the single piece lid. In addition, the instructions on how to process jams are much different...wait for jam to cool, put in cool jars, put in water bath of cold water and process 10 minutes once boiling, leaving the jars in the canner until cool. Since I'm awaiting a double hip replacement next month, this is much easier for me to do and does not require prolonged times standing at the stove which is very painful.
My problem is, my strawberry jam, once cool has the fruit separated and floating on the top. Now, once stirred, it remains stirred and is fine but I find it unacceptable for gift giving.
I would prevent this with my ball jars by inverting them right out of the canner for 5 minutes and then flipping them right side up.
Does anyone know if I can do this with the Bormioli jars? Because they have one solid lid, I wasn't sure and wondered if the single piece lid is why the processing is different.

Yes. Bottling is the way Italians preserve many foods, from vegetables to meat to olives - you name it, they do it. You often hear talk of "Grandma's pickles", Mamma's bottled fruit, bottled family recipes - I was once given half a dozen jars of La Mamma's tomatoes stuffed with tuna, peaches, other fruits and so forth. They were divine.Before filling the jars, the jars are sterilised in boiling water, and then filled. The cooking and sterilising of the contents is a bit like saying 'how long is a piece of string'. Most people turn the jars upside down as soon as the heating process is completed, and when I tried it, it worked for me. The only thing that put me off doing it was the hours I spent doing it all put me off eating the darn things! One more thing - once used, the jars were thrown away, ending up in the bottle bank

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Yes. Bottling is the way Italians preserve many foods, from vegetables to meat to olives - you name it, they do it. You often hear talk of "Grandma's pickles", Mamma's bottled fruit, bottled family recipes - I was once given half a dozen jars of La Mamma's tomatoes stuffed with tuna, peaches, other fruits and so forth. They were divine.Before filling the jars, the jars are sterilised in boiling water, and then filled. The cooking and sterilising of the contents is a bit like saying 'how long is a piece of string'. Most people turn the jars upside down as soon as the heating process is completed, and when I tried it, it worked for me. The only thing that put me off doing it was the hours I spent doing it all put me off eating the darn things! One more thing - once used, the jars were thrown away, ending up in the bottle bank

di reston

So are you saying I CAN take the jars out of the canner when warm and invert them? Can I continue using the Italian was of processing...cold fruit in cold jars in a cold canner...or do I need to process them like a ball jar? Why throw away the jar? Can't I just buy new lids and reprocess?
BTW, thanks for the response.

What I'm saying is that most people here use glass jars with standard threads and sizes. We buy new lids every year and sterilise them before using them. BTW,, many people put cloth over the panful of jars - several layers - during the cooking process and let the pan cool just a little - enough to handle them before they empty them. I've never met anybody who had a sophisticated way of doing all this - they did it Mamma's way and that was it (and still is). Hoping this is helpful.

di reston

Well luckily, I've seen replacement lids for the bormiolo jars on Amazon. Pricey compared to ball...I don't even buy ball replacement lids anymore, I use the Tattler reusable lids for years now and love them.
I was more concerned that inverting these Italian jars would result in them bursting or something...I was taught, everything hot, hot jars, hot lids, hot water, take em out hot. This cold version of canning is completely new to me but I have to say...save the separation of the fruit, I really like it more.
I made some blueberry lime jam over the weekend and pureed the fruit to avoid the separation. It worked like a charm and had the perfect consistency. I suppose I could puree the strawberries but I really like the chunks of fruit...ah, strawberry season is over now anyway....but I'm going back tomorrow and getting me some more blueberries! This was a new recipe...based on the ball book but with much more lime and much less sugar. It started out as a mistake. Since I can't walk the grocery store, my daughter got liquid pectin instead of powdered...I called the company because their proportions of fruit to sugar was so different from the powdered...and it allowed you to double the fruit, which meant one batch instead of two, so I was thrilled. But I was told by the company that two pouches of liquid equal one of powdered and she only got me one box with 2 pouches. So I had already measured out my lime juice and zest for two batches...I figured it was way too much for one batch...even doubled. My daughter is about a half hour away and I didn't want to bug her to get more pectin so I figured I would turn it into a nice syrup and finishing sauce instead. After it cooled its was still syrupy but low and behold the next day it set after all and turned into the best blueberry jam I ever made! It only made 8 pints but four have disappeared already as people came over to try out my sample jar. Called the farm to see if they could bring me the berries to the jeep as my ability to walk right now is severly limited, but today is rainy and I guess they are closed....:(

Okay, I have another question:

I am almost out of my bormiolo jars with the single piece lid and will be using several of my ball wide mouth pint jars.
Now I want to use the European method of cold canning but can I do that will the ball jars? I was taught that you put the lids in warm water to soften the seal. Now if I do that and put them in a cold canner...it obviously will get cold...so no point right?

Based on what I know of the people who can regularly here, we go by the USDA/NCHFP guidelines, so no cold canning. It sounded to me like even di reston, who is an Englishwoman living in Italy, does not can with everything cold.

Of course that is the standard but I don't always agree with them. They often make recommendations against certain things with no research or studies to back it up. For years I canned my strawberry jam without waterbath canning, it was a common practice and even had instructions on how to do it in the pectin packages. Then they came out to say strawberries today don't have enough acidity to support that form of canning. So I tested my strawberries and the pH was perfect.
My bormiolo jars sealed beautifully...just hoping my ball jars will as well.
The worst that could happen is they don't seal and I have to reprocess.

Back
Top Bottom