Processing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, so my question is about my salsa. I was meticulous in following the instructions as I know not to mess with acidity levels. I also processed for the required amount of time, BUT not all my jars sealed. My question is for next time. Could I have put them back in a hot water bath and processed them longer? Would they have sealed themselves after longer?

Yes you could re-process them. Make sure to check the jars to make sure the rims are clean and no cracks or anything that would prevent a seal from forming. You will need to use new lids though.

Thanks GB. I sort of figured that. As it was, we just opened the one that didn't seal well and started in on it!

Oh so good. There is just no bigger treat than fresh homemade salsa. Especially made with nice ripe romas. Mmmmmmm! I should have put more hot peppers in, but I was afraid of burning peoples tongues off. I'll just add a few drops of hot sauce to the open jar. Cheating I know, but it does the job.

I should take a picture, it looks so tasty.

Its all here Gretchen. Processing instructions are first, and are fairly specific to my province. You'll have to scroll quite a ways down to the salsa recipe but it is there. Not the first time I have made this recipe, but the first time not all the jars have sealed correctly.

I think I found the issue. The lid on the jar we opened (the one that didn't seal) has a dent in it. :angry: Wish I'd seen THAT before I started.

Alix said:
Its all here Gretchen. Processing instructions are first, and are fairly specific to my province. You'll have to scroll quite a ways down to the salsa recipe but it is there. Not the first time I have made this recipe, but the first time not all the jars have sealed correctly.

I think I found the issue. The lid on the jar we opened (the one that didn't seal) has a dent in it. :angry: Wish I'd seen THAT before I started.

Looks fine to me Alix. Sometimes the caps for glass jars are not perfect - they leave a small space or are very slightly defective. Put 'em in the fridge and consume asap!

Yes cliveb, that is what happened, I didn't happen to notice the dent when I was getting things going. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom