Questions about Olive Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cayenneman

Assistant Cook
I make an olive salad like that which is served on muffulettas in New Orleans. It has olives, capers, celery and a pickled giardinera in it. There is for the most part no vinegar in it and the olive salad is packed in olive oil. I was wondering the best way to can this. Pressure canning or water bath canning? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

You would definitely want to pressure can something like that, since it is not pickled in vinegar.

I wouldn't can it in oil. Oil degrades when it is heated. Oil is not recommended in canning. You can sometimes get away with a trace amount of oil, but not fully submerged in oil. Garlic, herbs, can grow botulism in an oil environment (4 - 7 days in the refrigerator). Oil can interfere with jars sealing. It's not recommended.

I would add vinegar or lemon juice, refrigerate or freeze. I have done both refrigerating and freezing it w/o oil.

I wouldn't can it in oil. Oil degrades when it is heated. Oil is not recommended in canning. You can sometimes get away with a trace amount of oil, but not fully submerged in oil. Garlic, herbs, can grow botulism in an oil environment (4 - 7 days in the refrigerator). Oil can interfere with jars sealing. It's not recommended.

I would add vinegar or lemon juice, refrigerate or freeze. I have done both refrigerating and freezing it w/o oil.

Thanks blissful. I figured since Central Grocery jars their's it could be done, but I see they have calcium chloride, potassium sorbate, lactic acid, and sodium bisulfate that I assume makes it shelf stable.

Thanks blissful. I figured since Central Grocery jars their's it could be done, but I see they have calcium chloride, potassium sorbate, lactic acid, and sodium bisulfate that I assume makes it shelf stable.
Yes, and they also have equipment and processes that aren't available to the home cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom