"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3
Questions about Olive Salad

I make an olive salad like that which is served on muffulettas in New Orleans. It has olives, capers, celery and a pickled giardinera in it. There is for the most part no vinegar in it and the olive salad is packed in olive oil. I was wondering the best way to can this. Pressure canning or water bath canning? Thanks.

cayenneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 2,285
Welcome to the forum!

You would definitely want to pressure can something like that, since it is not pickled in vinegar.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

You would definitely want to pressure can something like that, since it is not pickled in vinegar.
Thanks Dave. Any recommendations on time and pressure setting?
cayenneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,824
I wouldn't can it in oil. Oil degrades when it is heated. Oil is not recommended in canning. You can sometimes get away with a trace amount of oil, but not fully submerged in oil. Garlic, herbs, can grow botulism in an oil environment (4 - 7 days in the refrigerator). Oil can interfere with jars sealing. It's not recommended.


I would add vinegar or lemon juice, refrigerate or freeze. I have done both refrigerating and freezing it w/o oil.
__________________
https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/big-fat-myths
Check out NutritionFacts.org for the latest in nutrition research.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I wouldn't can it in oil. Oil degrades when it is heated. Oil is not recommended in canning. You can sometimes get away with a trace amount of oil, but not fully submerged in oil. Garlic, herbs, can grow botulism in an oil environment (4 - 7 days in the refrigerator). Oil can interfere with jars sealing. It's not recommended.


I would add vinegar or lemon juice, refrigerate or freeze. I have done both refrigerating and freezing it w/o oil.
Thanks blissful. I figured since Central Grocery jars their's it could be done, but I see they have calcium chloride, potassium sorbate, lactic acid, and sodium bisulfate that I assume makes it shelf stable.
cayenneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenneman View Post
Thanks blissful. I figured since Central Grocery jars their's it could be done, but I see they have calcium chloride, potassium sorbate, lactic acid, and sodium bisulfate that I assume makes it shelf stable.
Yes, and they also have equipment and processes that aren't available to the home cook.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.