Removing tomato skins - best device?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have used that method, Beth! I thought I invented it! :chef: Sure is easier than blup-blup-blupping that sauce to thicken it. Much easier cleanup.

Now I cut all the veggies (tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic) up and roast them for an hour, then use the processor or stick blender. I don't peel anything but the onions and garlic. I do cut the stems out of the peppers and shake the seeds out.

Interesting, I may try that method too.

You may have invented it Sparrowgrass..the article I read on the reducing technique, I read it years ago in Countryside and Small Stock Journal, and thought it was brilliant. Did you submit an article anywhere?

No, Beth, I didn't write an article. I think that I started to cook the tomatoes and got interrupted and put them in the fridge. When I took them out to begin again, they had separated, and I thought it would be easier to reduce the liquid by itself.

I do love the roasting method--it brings out the sweetness of the veggies.

That Lee Valley press looks more like a workable tool, not trying to be too many things. I will investigate it further. Yesterday read the reviews on Rosle, a German company with expensive but generally well made kitchen tools. Very bad complaining reviews on their new food mill, now made in China, not Germany.

I like cooking down the tomatoes with seasonings into a thick tomato sauce; the house smells good and the sauce is ready to heat and mix with pasta, a quick meal any time during the winter.

I just finished making some tomato soup from fresh tomatoes that have been diced, skins included.

After a brief oven roast and 10 minutes of simmering in a pot (with a cup of chicken broth), my stick blender did a very nice job of reducing seeds, skin and pulp into a uniform soup.

I personally know the Lee family. Mrs. Lee is quite the cook (she and I are perogie making buddies and used to walk our Newfoundland dogs together--they were 1/2 brother and sister). She has a kitchen to die for. Mr. Lee has designed/found a lot of the tools because of what she wanted (he's from Saskatewan and one of the nicest people I have ever met--you'd never know he is a member of the Order of Canada and sought after as a speaker at business events or as a mentor, a really nice, honest man--even if he did make the mistake of getting that 48# turkey one year). She is a sweetie as well. She is also quite the gardener. So the gardening tools and equipment are good. They started the company in their basement years ago and have since done succession of the company to one of their sons. I have always liked the stuff I've bought there. The quality is good, the prices are reasonable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. The tomato press is made in Italy and looks like it will do that one tomato thing well. Reasonable price. Now to grow some tomatoes. Local farmers' market starts in May and won't have any until mid June at earliest. My best tomato sauce was made from Roma tomatoes but very few were available here.

I give the skins and cores to my chickens.

I don't know how long your growing season is, but you will want to stay away from heirloom romas if your growing season is less than 90 days (add two-three weeks for the plants to get over the shock of being transplanted). Here in SE Ontario, I push it to harvest San Maranzo. They are great sauce tomatoes, but they need a long growing season.

Thanks for the tomato tip. At 7000' the growing season is variable. Local farmers market growers use greenhouses and row covers to get produce to our market early and late. Mid June tomatoes have a long line and waiting list and we'll pay ANYTHING for a fresh tomato. Early September is when Romas appear and everyone is picking fast before first frost and tomatoes go down to $1 a box. I did my final batch last year in early October. Warm fall.

We have a greenhouse as well. We generally get our heirloom tomatoes in the 3rd weekend in May (or shortly thereafter). Even though they've been in the greenhouse and we've hardened them off, they still suffer transplant shock. We start harvesting the heirloom varieties mid-August until frost (which is almost ALWAYS by the 21st of September). We've used row covers, but a lot of it depends on the amount of sun and rain in July...2008 and 2009 were horrible for tomatoes--too much rain, not enough sun. 2007 was great--we were giving tomatoes away by the wheel barrelful. Last year was better, and we're hoping this year will be back to what we're used to...I've already promised TaxLady veggies <g>.

You can make "mini greenhouses" using 2 qt pop bottles...

Last edited:
I believe the tomato press can also be used for apples. I can't remember if it can be used for anything else--but I do remember that it can handle other things besides tomatoes. I use mine for tomatoes.

It has helped me as well. I plan to buy a Lee tomato press made in Italy. Will report on results when I start canning tomatoes.

I am told that freezing and then thawing facilitates skin removal. Throw your tomatoes, as they ripen, into the freezer and when you have the time or inclination to process, thaw them out. You can just pick the skins from them and drain most of the excess moisture by straining, before you begin the cooking process.

I have a Champion Juicer. It makes a great thick juice that I use for smoother sauces. Just chop them up big enough to fit in the feeder hole and you have a nice strained product. I have freezed it in yogurt containers

I am told that freezing and then thawing facilitates skin removal. Throw your tomatoes, as they ripen, into the freezer and when you have the time or inclination to process, thaw them out. You can just pick the skins from them and drain most of the excess moisture by straining, before you begin the cooking process.

Welcome to DC

Josie

I have a Champion Juicer. It makes a great thick juice that I use for smoother sauces. Just chop them up big enough to fit in the feeder hole and you have a nice strained product. I have freezed it in yogurt containers

Rock I also use my Champion Juicer for tomatoes. I also juice hot peppers to make hot sauce. Champion makes short work of both.

Josie

Like the Lee press , but it is stain
39817-albums371-picture4215.jpg
less steel, also made in Italy.

Back
Top Bottom