Salsa - what is the one ingredient that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
makes your canned salsa superb? Just trying to spice mine up or figure out what's missing. I was hoping you would tell me the one thing that makes yours unique, zesty, delicious, etc.

Thanks! 15 pints of salsa are on their way! I'm just waiting for the water to boil in my canner.

fresh copped cilantro, lime juice, and a little toasted cumin.
More then 1, I know...

surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

Please tell me that you are not water bath canning your salsa. Salsa needs to be pressure canned. Even today's tomatoes by themselves, which are mostly hybrids do not have adequate acidity to be water bath canned.

Tested and proven salsa recipes, along with most tomato recipes, can still be processed in a Boiling Water Canner because of the additional acid added, usually in the form of bottled lemon juice. In fact, the additional acid is needed even if pressure canned.

Home custom salsa recipes are discouraged since they usually contain lots of low-acid ingredients and the user cannot accurately determine the total pH or stability for canning, even with a pressure canner.

Tested and proven salsa recipes, along with most tomato recipes, can still be processed in a Boiling Water Canner because of the additional acid added, usually in the form of bottled lemon juice. In fact, the additional acid is needed even if pressure canned.

Home custom salsa recipes are discouraged since they usually contain lots of low-acid ingredients and the user cannot accurately determine the total pH or stability for canning, even with a pressure canner.

Additional acid is not needed if pressure canned. The issue is that most hybrid tomatoes are not acidic enough. Heirloom tomatoes usually are, if you are canning them alone. The issue is with added ingredients. Processing time and pressure should be for the least common denominator when processing combination foods.

I don't know anything about canning.

My one ingredient is cilantro. Lime is there 2. Mango have to think about that Vera, care to share that recipie?

Please tell me that you are not water bath canning your salsa. Salsa needs to be pressure canned. Even today's tomatoes by themselves, which are mostly hybrids do not have adequate acidity to be water bath canned.

My canner does both water bath and pressure canning. The instructions that came with it say to pressure can tomatoes and do the water bath for salsa. My mother's been doing it for years, and I did it last year. I used a high altitude processing time since I'm way up in the Rockies.

I love mango salsa. I usually use mango, red onion, whatever hot peppers strike my mood, lime juice, garlic (although sometime I do without), salt and pepper.

Additional acid is not needed if pressure canned.
I'm sorry but that is NOT correct according to the National Center for Home Food Preservation which is the authority on such subjects. This is a safety issue in canning tomatoes.

"If a procedure from the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning for canning tomatoes offers both boiling water and pressure canning options, all steps in the preparation ("Procedure") are still required even if the pressure processing option is chosen. This includes acidification. The boiling water and pressure alternatives are equal processes with different time/temperature combinations calculated for these products. "

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Tomatoes

If anyone wants to learn about food preservation (including canning) or undate their knowledge since facts and information do change over the years with advances in science and technology......The University of Georgia and National Center for Home Food Preservation is offering a *free* self-study course on the subject over the internet. Just go to National Center for Home Food Preservation and look for the link about halfway down the page.

Back
Top Bottom