Shelf Life Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcjones2004

Assistant Cook
I am new to canning and just have a quick question about shelf life. I would like to make something called "Monkey Butter" but the person that created the recipe is saying that after canning that you still need to keep it refrigerated. To me the whole reason to can it would be to not have to store it in the fridge. The link to the recipe is below.

Monkey Butter

MONKEY BUTTER
5 medium-size perfectly ripe bananas (no brown spots)
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple – not drained
1/4 cup coconut
3 cups of white sugar
3 Tbsp bottled lemon juice.

Cook, added to jars and water bath for 15 min.

Welcome to DC!
Yep, I'd just keep it in the fridge or freezer and skip the canning, since she said earlier in the recipe that it keeps for 4-6 weeks in the fridge without canning.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

In order to be safe, canning recipes have to be tested and very specific. I would not recommend relying on a random page whose author does not have some sort of credentials establishing authority in this area.

Indeed, GG. And I didn't care for the disclaimer at the end of the recipe (which sounds fun, BTW) that canned or not, you need to store it in the fridge. Why bother canning it? And while I haven't looked, I don't recall seeing a Monkey Butter canning recipe in any reliable source I've seen...

Last edited:
I have not researched canning pineapple but it seems to me that there would be enough acidity and there is certainly enough sugar to make the canning process safe... BUT... that being said, I agree with Dawg & GG. why is there that caveat????

so I would not bother with the water bath. Try one jar as Freezer Jam. Just to see if the banana freezes well. Try Freezer Strawberry Jam and see if you don't swoon with the fresh taste!

Bananas and pineapple are funny creatures, they each have their own rules - Just refrigerate to be on the safe side.
It sure sounds yummy!

Armando, I would not take the chance. It might last a day or two - you would probably be better off just taking along some bananas and mashing them up with a fork as you need them.

It sounds like there's enough acidity with the lemon and pineapple, but you never know. One way to check is to make a test jar with the water bath canning, then let it sit on a cool dark shelf for 6 months or more.

If the seal is good and the lid doesn't pop, you probably are OK.

Armando, I would not take the chance. It might last a day or two - you would probably be better off just taking along some bananas and mashing them up with a fork as you need them.

Who's Armando? The last time you spoke with the OP was in 2016 when you thought it would be ok.
I'm wondering if I've entered the Twilight Zone. :LOL:

There was a guy named Armando who was posting in threads in Soanish. It appears an admin removed the Spanish posts, including the one here, but dragn's reply to Armando remained.

I am new to canning and just have a quick question about shelf life. I would like to make something called "Monkey Butter" but the person that created the recipe is saying that after canning that you still need to keep it refrigerated. To me the whole reason to can it would be to not have to store it in the fridge. The link to the recipe is below.

Monkey Butter

MONKEY BUTTER
5 medium-size perfectly ripe bananas (no brown spots)
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple – not drained
1/4 cup coconut
3 cups of white sugar
3 Tbsp bottled lemon juice.

Cook, added to jars and water bath for 15 min.
This is the recipe I use to make my monkey butter. The author includes instructions for canning, then goes on to say it’s not necessary because it depisappears so quickly. I had no problem canning it, though, and it kept quite well.

Monkey Butter Recipe - American Preppers Network : American Preppers Network

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom