Tomato/ketchup sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Head Chef

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 227
We have "tomato" and "ketchup" in our vocabulary -- not the same thing. Well, we once had a vice-president who spelled it "tomatoe." I wonder what he's doing now? :huh:

I use less than a pint of ketchup a year, if we are talking about the same thing. I don't know what I would do with 40 litres.

CD

That looks like what we would call strained tomatoes over here..just tomatoes with the seeds strained out of them so you get a thick product..sauce, on the other hand, would be cooked down with other added ingredients, ready to use for your favorite recipe..ketchup is a cooked tomato condiment loaded with sugar and other spices..I've never seen much of that when I was in australila..I'm guessing you don't use much Ketchup in New Zealand?

Last edited:
That looks like what we would call strained tomatoes over here..just tomatoes with the seeds strained out of them so you get a thick product..sauce, on the other hand, would be cooked down with other added ingredients, ready to use for your favorite recipe..ketchup is a cooked tomato condiment loaded with sugar and other spices..I've never seen much of that when I was in australila..I'm guessing you don't use much Ketchup in New Zealand?
Ketchup is based on kecap manis, which might be more familiar to Australians.

We have "tomato" and "ketchup" in our vocabulary -- not the same thing. Well, we once had a vice-president who spelled it "tomatoe." I wonder what he's doing now? :huh:

I use less than a pint of ketchup a year, if we are talking about the same thing. I don't know what I would do with 40 litres.

CD
That's how I feel about ketchup too. But, once upon a time I had a husband who used a lot of ketchup. I had gotten a whole lot of tomatoes cheap and had canned a bunch for using in sauces. I had made some tomato preserves and still had a lot left. So, I figured I would give tomato ketchup a try. I used the recipe in Joy of Cooking. OMG, that stuff was so good that I was putting it on everything, including my eggs at breakfast. It was what the store bought stuff wishes it could be. I think I made 40 pints. Whatever, I was sad when it ran out.

That's how I feel about ketchup too. But, once upon a time I had a husband who used a lot of ketchup. I had gotten a whole lot of tomatoes cheap and had canned a bunch for using in sauces. I had made some tomato preserves and still had a lot left. So, I figured I would give tomato ketchup a try. I used the recipe in Joy of Cooking. OMG, that stuff was so good that I was putting it on everything, including my eggs at breakfast. It was what the store bought stuff wishes it could be. I think I made 40 pints. Whatever, I was sad when it ran out.
I don’t suppose you’ve got that ketchup recipe from The Joy of Cooking lurking around somewhere?

Seriously, are we talking about the same thing?

You folks from "down under" have different terms for things, even though we speak the same language.

What we call "ketchup" is tomato sauce cooked with a lot of ingredients, not the least of which is sugar. Actually, sugar is probably the second ingredient in ketchup, after tomatoes. It is a condiment for french fries, or as you may call them, chips. That is about all it is good for -- well, other than making store bought "BBQ" sauce.

CD

You folks from "down under" have different terms for things, even though we speak the same language.

What we call "ketchup" is tomato sauce cooked with a lot of ingredients, not the least of which is sugar. Actually, sugar is probably the second ingredient in ketchup, after tomatoes. It is a condiment for french fries, or as you may call them, chips. That is about all it is good for -- well, other than making store bought "BBQ" sauce.

CD
What we call ketchup was standardized as a tomato-based condiment by either Hunt or Heinz in the late 19th century. Our ketchup and ketchup (phonetic spelling of kecap) manis are sort of cousins. It used to be used for a lot more than just burgers, dogs and fries.

"The word 'ketchup' conjures up an image of the thick, sweet, tomato-based condiment...Americans did not invent ketchup, which was not thick, sweet, or made from tomatoes...British explorers, colonists, and traders came into contact with the sauce in Southeast Asia, and upon their return to Europe they attempted to duplicate it. As soybeans were not grown in Europe, British cooks used such substitutes as anchovies, mushrooms, walnuts, and oysters. British colonists brought ketchup to North Ameirca, and Americans continued experimenting, using a variety of additional ingredients, including beans and apples. Tomato ketchup may have originated in America. It was widely used throughout the United States in the early nineteenth century, and small quantities of it were first bottled in the 1850s. After the Civil War commercial production of ketchup rapidly increased...tomato ketchup became the most important version...In 1896 the New York Tribune reported that tomato ketchup was America's national condiment...Up until 1900, ketchup was mainly used as an ingredient for savory pies and sauces, and to enhance the flavor of meat, poultry, and fish. It then became famous as a condiment following the appearance of three major host foods: hamburgers, hot dogs, and french fries."
---Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, Andrew F. Smith [Oxford University Press:New York] 2004, volume 2(p. 5-6)

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsauces.html#ketchup

I don’t suppose you’ve got that ketchup recipe from The Joy of Cooking lurking around somewhere?
I'm pretty sure I still have that cook book. I probably even have the log where I wrote down how much of everything I used to make it and how much I got. There may be notes about how it was done.

Are you sure you want to try this? It's a lot of work and a lot of "standing over a hot stove" stirring the sauce to keep it from burning. In any case, it will have to wait a bit before I have time to type it up. I have too many things on my plate at the moment. Hmm, I might be able to take pix of the log pages.

I'm pretty sure I still have that cook book. I probably even have the log where I wrote down how much of everything I used to make it and how much I got. There may be notes about how it was done.

Are you sure you want to try this? It's a lot of work and a lot of "standing over a hot stove" stirring the sauce to keep it from burning. In any case, it will have to wait a bit before I have time to type it up. I have too many things on my plate at the moment. Hmm, I might be able to take pix of the log pages.
No hurry, TL. If you think of it. If it can’t happen, that’s ok too ;) In the meantime, I’ll see if I can’t my copy of The Joy of Cooking. I know it’s around somewhere, although I can’t vouch for which edition it is.

I don’t mind the occasional recipe that takes a lot of tending!

CD

Here's the recipe I use.

Russ

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33442&stc=1&d=1549231069

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom