Tomatoes floating when canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baleine

Assistant Cook
I have canned a lo tof tomatoes. Most of the 1 L bottles end up with the tomatoes floating and all the liquid at the bottom. Is this normal? All seals are intact. I am using a pressure cooker.

Has anyone got an idea why this happens?

Suz:mellow:

I can't tell you why it happens but the same is true of mine as well. It seems, though, that it is only the jars that have less tomatoes in them - like the ones I do at the end of the pot. I've never had a problem with them going bad or tasting differently but I do know when I use one that I will have more juice than other jars.

That always happens. It is more pronounced with a pressure cooker, but I still use mine, it takes way too long to do tomatoes in a water canner. I think it must be the way the fruit shrinks when it is cooked in the jars. They always taste fine though. As long as the lid doesn't pop when you touch it, they are sealed.

Have you ever tried the cold-pack method? I used to peel my whole romas, stuff them tightly in the jar without adding juice, then process in my pressure canner. They came out beautifully.

I agree that it sounds as though you aren't packing the tomatoes into the jars firmly enough. You might also try to squeeze some of the natural tomato juice out of them before you put them into the jars. During the canning process there will be quite a bit of natural juice from the tomatoes, so don't worry about having dry tomatoes.

I've canned both regular tomatoes and Romas and never had a problem with too much liquid and not enough tomatoes. As I mentioned, I think firmly packing them in the jars is the key.

Katie

No matter how full or not full enough you have your jars, the tomatoes - if they have a good seal - will go to the top!! I wouldn't eat canned tomatoes that were sunk to the bottom. To me, that meant the seal was broken.

Try turning the jars upside down.
No I'm not joking (even though it sounds silly!), but it will ensure the tomatoes are well pickled.

cliveb said:
Try turning the jars upside down.
No I'm not joking (even though it sounds silly!), but it will ensure the tomatoes are well pickled.

Just now I told my husband to stand on his head while he drank his wine - sure enough - he's pickled :ROFLMAO:

....sorry, I'm going to bed now! :dry:

Back
Top Bottom