Using Grapefruit Marmalade - ideas please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisy

Senior Cook
I'm looking for ideas for using up a very large jar of excellent Grapefruit Marmalade which was given to me. I'm not all that keen on Grapefruit Marmalade, but don't want to offend the person who gave it to me as a Thank You gift.

The tough part is that I'm only cooking for one, but any ideas would be gratefully received.

Wow, I've never heard of grapefruit marmalade. I think I would try baking with it. Try tossing it into a batch of sunshine muffins to zip them up. I am sure someone else will have better ideas for you soon, so I am going to bump this post up so it will be seen.

Thin it down and use as a sauce with pork.

Add to a bread and butter pudding in place of orange marmalade

Use it to baste a roast ham

If it's tart, my first reaction then is to whisk it into a vinaigrette and counter the tartness with some honey or sugar. This vinaigrette can then be used on salads, fish, shellfish (try making a salad with crab and avocado for this dressing), and with pork or chicken. You could also make a grapefruit mignonette and use it on fresh shucked oysters.

You can use also it as a base for a dipping sauce for won tons, egg rolls, rangoons, etc. Add it to either a sweet/sour based sauce, or to a fish sauce based recipe. You can even just use the vinaigrette as well. Just add maybe some ginger, lemongrass, thai basil, thai chiles, etc.

For the vinaigrette/mignonette, I would recommend using either champagne or sherry vinegar so that the flavor of the grapefruit can be accentuated, and not overwhelmed. Red Wine vinegar will also work but the flavor of the vinegar is stronger and may overpower the flavor of the grapefruit. Balsamic would be another option but you would have to really work on adjusting the flavors as you go along because of the definitive flavor that balsamic has.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom