What preserves do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Hi everyone. I have been making pickles, chilli sauces, jams etc. since being a stay at home mom and would like to start a bussiness from home. Any advise would be welcome and if people can tell me what they would buy if they were looking for homemade preserves. Thanks Odette

There ain't too many things better, IMHO, than homemade jams, jellies, preserves and pickles.
The favorites here are fig preserves, strawberry preserves, grape jelly, and bread and butter pickles.
Mrs Hoot makes a wonderful grape jelly made from wild bullis grapes. I believe they are otherwise known as muscadine grapes. It is better than any commercially available grape jelly in these parts

My all time favorite is pineapple. My mama used to make it all the time. I liked it better than strawberry.

I'm a "preserves lover." Strawberry, Red Raspberry, Peach, Apricot, Mixed Berry, Tart Cherry, Fig, Blueberry. A spoonful on a biscuit makes as good a dessert as it does a breakfast!

Apricot, Blueberry are my favorites but I wouldn't turn my nose up at damson plum, strawberry, cherry, blackberry.

Just about any kind of pickle.

When I get homemade preserves, I look for things Smuckers doesn't do: damson plum; pear preserves, ginger/cantaloupe, etc. A really good apple butter will make me come back over and over; I drive 20 miles to get it from the Mennonites.

i could eat all of the sweet fruit preserves everyone mentioned, but a preserve from my pink raspberries would be my choice. i planted some yellow raspberry canes alongside some red raspberry canes many years ago, and they've all morphed into a delicious, tart and sweet pink raspberries. i wonder if i've created a hybrid?

plus, i love pickled stuff. cukes, hot peppers, sweet peppers, cauliflower, carrots, stringbeans, green tomatoes, garlic, onions, olives, beets, eggs, and fish. i could, and oftendo, eat pickled stuff every day.

Thanks for the input guys :) Your ideas sound great!
I've been making :
Sweet and tangy pickled beets
Bread and butter pickle
Sweet and spicy pickled onions
Pickled peppadews
Papaya Jam
Rose Jelly
Wholegrain spicy mustard
Chunky chilli and onion sauce
4 kinds of hot sauce
Preserved lemon
Curried greenbeans
Apricot jam
Fig jam
Apple brandy jam
Peach jam
tomato jam
Balsamic Onions
Rose geranium syrup
and a Spicy vegtable pickle.
So far the beetroot in Balsamic, apple brandy jam, apricot jam and all the chilli relish and sauces are the most popular. Wil definitly try some of the pickles and jams everyone mentioned.
Even thought I've only had possitive feedback I still want to go with only the most liked preserves. It's a bit hard to make a huge variety.

I haven't met a preserve that I don't like, also jellies, jams, pickles. I do not like butters. I know some people say how much they like the fruit butters but they always look muddy to me. I like mine sparkly and clear.

My gf likes to pickle cabbage in a jar full of vinegar, and some cracked pepper just to give it a bit of a kick. It is always nice to eat especially with something horrendously spicy

Back
Top Bottom