When making sauerkraut, do you cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I have one more batch of kraut to make. I usually make mine in jars but I am trying it in a crock this time. After I salt & pack in crock, cover with a plate & weighted down. Do I cover the plate with a tight fitting lid or should I allow for air to get into the crock? Thanks for everyone that has helped me. If any of my kraut is a success I am going to write all this down. Thanks.

Let some air in. Your cabbage is fermenting, so you have to let air out, too. I always make in a 5 gallon crock, and don't use a plate. I have a piece of cotton twill (like mattress ticking) a little larger than the mouth of the crock, and put it over the top, then insert a wooden lid that is small enough to fit loosely, with the cloth coming up around it. Large rock on top of lid. Every day or two, I take the rock and lid off, and rinse the cloth. I also wipe down the inside surface of the crock that is above the cabbage/water level, then replace all.

I use a plate weighted down with a brick in a 5gal crock. I just make sure the water is above the plate by about "..that gives me room to revoves the skum off the top once every few days.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom