Yet another salsa question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittywillow

Assistant Cook
This summer has been weird as far as my garden and friends gardens go.--long story.
I had a massive amount of peppers come on before anything else. Didn't know what to do with them other than pickle them. (also made some poppers--freeze great).
My pepper plants dropped all their leaves and stopped producing peppers before my tomatoes came on (no idea why, first time it ever happened).
Now I have tons of tomatoes, that I have already used to made ketchup, seasoned tomatoes in juice, tomato sauce, and tomato juice. My family and friends have been begging for salsa.
So-my question is:
Please tell me I can use my pickled peppers in my salsa recipe?

This summer has been weird as far as my garden and friends gardens go.--long story.
I had a massive amount of peppers come on before anything else. Didn't know what to do with them other than pickle them. (also made some poppers--freeze great).
My pepper plants dropped all their leaves and stopped producing peppers before my tomatoes came on (no idea why, first time it ever happened).
Now I have tons of tomatoes, that I have already used to made ketchup, seasoned tomatoes in juice, tomato sauce, and tomato juice. My family and friends have been begging for salsa.
So-my question is:
Please tell me I can use my pickled peppers in my salsa recipe?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :) I don't see why not. It won't taste the same, obviously. Since presumably there's vinegar in the pickled peppers, I would taste before adding lime juice. It may not need any or it may enhance it. Depends on your taste :)

Thank you.

I wasn't really sure about using previously canned items in new canning recipes. I've always used fresh.

My salsa recipe calls for 1 cup vinegar, so I'm trying to figure out how much peppers to use or if I need to use any at all.

My guy jokingly says to just do it, at least if we get sick and die it will be together and enjoying salsa.----he's sick, I know! lol

The acid of vinegar in your pickled peppers helps to make them shelf stable, and inhibit the growth of any nasty micro-organisms, keeping you safe. Adding pickled peppers to your salsa will carry some of that vinegar to your salsa, but not enough so that you can can them in a water bath. Your tomatoes, depending on the variety, may not have enough natural acidity in them either. Add to that you are adding non-acidic ingredients, that dilute the amount of acid per volume in your salsa.

If you are going to make the salsa, refrigerate, and eat withing a few days, you will be fine. If you are planning to can your salsa, pressure can according to USDA guidelines. You sill loose some crunch in things like celery and onion. But it wills till taste great, and be safe to eat when you open that bottle.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you.

I wasn't really sure about using previously canned items in new canning recipes. I've always used fresh.

My salsa recipe calls for 1 cup vinegar, so I'm trying to figure out how much peppers to use or if I need to use any at all.

My guy jokingly says to just do it, at least if we get sick and die it will be together and enjoying salsa.----he's sick, I know! lol

Oh, I didn't realize you were planning to can the salsa. What is the recipe you are using?

As Chief says, you would still need to include vinegar in order to ensure it will be safe. You don't need to pressure-can acidified salsa, though.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't realize you were planning to can the salsa. What is the recipe you are using?

As Chief says, you would still need to include vinegar in order to ensure it will be safe. You don't need to pressure-can acidified salsa, though.

The recipe I use is one from the Purdue Extension Office. I went to a salsa canning class there, and it was the recipe we used. I'm not sure if they created the recipe or if it is just a recipe that they distribute, but we were assured that it is safe, and they went over a bunch of other safety topics from the USDA.

The recipe I use is one from the Purdue Extension Office. I went to a salsa canning class there, and it was the recipe we used. I'm not sure if they created the recipe or if it is just a recipe that they distribute, but we were assured that it is safe, and they went over a bunch of other safety topics from the USDA.

Cool beans :cool: I'm a master gardener, so I'm well familiar with the extension service ;) They only use tested, safe recipes.

Back
Top Bottom