Slow cooker v Dutch oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Can anyone tell me what the difference between a “crock pot” attached to an electrical outlet and a Dutch oven in a very slow oven?

Other than the obvious snarky answers, I think the dutch oven on the stove top or in the oven gives you a better finished product that the slow cooker. Also, you can sear, sauté and braise all in the same pot.

The slow cooker may be more convenient with its set it and forget it controls.

Thanks for posting that article. I remembered reading it before but couldn't remember where.
This article was a big help, thanks! And I had a feeling that, except for the possible fire hazard, the d.o.’s the way to go.

I didn’t thank you yet! This article was exactly what I needed to read!

Guess the crock pot gets relegated to the garage. It wasn’t anything special, anyway! Think I’ve used it twice.
Slow cookers are good for keeping food warm for a crowd. That's about it.

You can debate all you want about what is "best", but for most people, convenience is a huge factor. You can make a pretty decent meal in a slow cooker, just as you can make a pretty decent meal on a gas grill.

You can always brown meat before putting it in the slow cooker (which is commonly recommended), but some of the newer slow cookers have a saute function, so you can brown the meat first, then switch to slow cook mode.

Another factor is the amount of heat given off from an oven on a hot summer day or while the AC is running. Some use their slow cookers (or Instant Pots) during the summer for this reason.

You can debate all you want about what is "best", but for most people, convenience is a huge factor. You can make a pretty decent meal in a slow cooker, just as you can make a pretty decent meal on a gas grill.

You can always brown meat before putting it in the slow cooker (which is commonly recommended), but some of the newer slow cookers have a saute function, so you can brown the meat first, then switch to slow cook mode.

Another factor is the amount of heat given off from an oven on a hot summer day or while the AC is running. Some use their slow cookers (or Instant Pots) during the summer for this reason.
If we're talking about flavor, then the slow cooker is not the best choice. Yes, it's convenient and if that's the goal, then great. But while you can brown before cooking with a slow cooker, it won't brown further, and the liquid won't reduce, during the cook time. That does happen when cooking in a Dutch oven and it significantly improves the flavor of the final dish.

I rarely turn on the oven in the summer. I'd do the cooking on the stovetop, so any increase in the heat output doesn't make the room uncomfortable.

This article was a big help, thanks! And I had a feeling that, except for the possible fire hazard, the d.o.’s the way to go.

Didn't quite get this statement. The conclusion in the article was that there is less actual hazard with the DO in the oven than there is with the slow cooker. Although there were more fires with the oven, the fact was that the oven is typically used far more than the slow cooker, and most such fires are confined to the oven. Slow cooker fires usually start on the countertop and have the potential to do far more damage.

But I agree that unless there is an actual need for using the slow cooker, the Dutch oven is a more versatile tool and just makes tastier, more appealing food.

Back
Top Bottom