Surimi as the star????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surimi is not crab, it doesn't taste like crab, it cannot replace crab.
Crab is better than surumi by a long stretch.
Having said that, I keep kosher and do not eat crab, so surimi works just fine for sushi, for salad. But as a "star" I don't think so.

Having said that, I keep kosher and do not eat crab, so surimi works just fine for sushi, for salad. But as a "star" I don't think so.
I don't think anyone here pretends or believes that it's real crab, Charlie. But it can be enjoyed for what it is - a tasty ingredient in a variety of dishes.

Please read my original post. I was asked for recipes that were designed around surimi, as opposed to recipes that suggest surimi as a substitution. I’m well aware that surimi isn’t crab (or lobster, or any other crustacean), and doesn’t taste like it.

I’m a bit curious, though Charlie. If you keep kosher and don’t consume crab, how do you know if surimi does or doesn’t taste like crab? Have you only recently begun to keep kosher? I’ve heard that people who weren’t raised in kosher households have a difficult time with it as it’s quite complicated and goes way beyond not eating pork or crustaceans and not mixing meat and dairy (as I’m sure you’re aware). Both my mother and father were raised in strict kosher homes (although Dad’s mom did keep a third set of dishes and pans for treyf, as Grandpa liked rare steak!

As I said in my original post, I tasted a sushi roll made with surimi and found it to be quite good. I never said it tasted like crab, though, which is why I was asking if there were any recipes specifically designed for surimi as a “star ingredient.”

Last edited:
JJ, can't think of a dish where it is the main ingredient... but it's a ubiq side, expected to top every bowl of noodles & soup. Surimi is a kamaboko; kani is crab, so Japan calls it "kaniboko." Easy to make. Mix fish flesh thoroughly with egg, fill a mold, steam. Recent years, kaniboko has been processed to be stringier & encased in a mottled red football that looks like real crab legs; unfortunately, markets price them nearly the same as real crab, so I never ever buy them. As for kamaboko in general, there is an artisan trend -- fish+egg+herbs+etc.

We get surimi here mixed with shrimps and cocktail sauce. I know it's man made but I enjoy the mix. I buy it a lot, especially if the wife's away, she's hates seafood.

Russ

We get surimi here mixed with shrimps and cocktail sauce. I know it's man made but I enjoy the mix. I buy it a lot, especially if the wife's away, she's hates seafood.

Russ
They offer a couple of ready-made seafood salads with surimi at the local supermarket. I’m always a bit wary of them, simply because I don’t know how long they’ve been sitting in the case (same with their “poke”). And the pre-packaged ones look like they were hit by a mayo bomb at point blank range.

They offer a couple of ready-made seafood salads with surimi at the local supermarket. I’m always a bit wary of them, simply because I don’t know how long they’ve been sitting in the case (same with their “poke”). And the pre-packaged ones look like they were hit by a mayo bomb at point blank range.
v

Just how I like it, shops have a use by date, so normally good to go. I've been known to eat it in the car park. Never to make it home,Nom Nom .

Russ

I almost hate to admit it, but I tend to prefer the fake stuff to the real stuff. It makes a great snack. Wally World has a gluten free version that is pretty good.

I guess I've never thought to look at recipes for it, beyond sushi and wraps.

Hmmm... consider my curiosity piqued.

I almost hate to admit it, but I tend to prefer the fake stuff to the real stuff. It makes a great snack. Wally World has a gluten free version that is pretty good.

I guess I've never thought to look at recipes for it, beyond sushi and wraps.

Hmmm... consider my curiosity piqued.
I’ve been looking still, but in vain! Let me know if you come up with anything. I’ll return the favor, of course!

Other option, though, and maybe more fun - we come up with some (and copywriter them)!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone here pretends or believes that it's real crab, Charlie. But it can be enjoyed for what it is - a tasty ingredient in a variety of dishes.

I think people took my post way too seriously. My only emphasis was word "star". Surimi is made to be crab substitute. I eat it just fine, like it even, but would not give "star" rating.

Please read my original post. I was asked for recipes that were designed around surimi, as opposed to recipes that suggest surimi as a substitution. I’m well aware that surimi isn’t crab (or lobster, or any other crustacean), and doesn’t taste like it.

I’m a bit curious, though Charlie. If you keep kosher and don’t consume crab, how do you know if surimi does or doesn’t taste like crab? Have you only recently begun to keep kosher? I’ve heard that people who weren’t raised in kosher households have a difficult time with it as it’s quite complicated and goes way beyond not eating pork or crustaceans and not mixing meat and dairy (as I’m sure you’re aware). Both my mother and father were raised in strict kosher homes (although Dad’s mom did keep a third set of dishes and pans for treyf, as Grandpa liked rare steak!

As I said in my original post, I tasted a sushi roll made with surimi and found it to be quite good. I never said it tasted like crab, though, which is why I was asking if there were any recipes specifically designed for surimi as a “star ingredient.”

As far as your post, read my response to GG above.

I've been keeping kosher only last 18 -19 years or so. To answer your question.

As far as "difficult time", I don't quite understand what you mean by that. And as far as treif dishes for rare steak, I understand that even less, as there is absolutely nothing wrong with rare or even row stake for that matter.

I've only known it as "fake crab" and it wasn't introduced in the United States in the 1980s. Because of the much lower cost it was quite the sensation back in the day.

I developed a "Company Crab Bake" recipe with it for a 1988 club cookbook that's quite good, and I still have the book. If you're interested, I'd be happy to type it out for you Joel.

I've only known it as "fake crab" and it wasn't introduced in the United States in the 1980s. Because of the much lower cost it was quite the sensation back in the day.

I developed a "Company Crab Bake" recipe with it for a 1988 club cookbook that's quite good, and I still have the book. If you're interested, I'd be happy to type it out for you Joel.

I’d love to have the recipe, if it’s not too much trouble! Is the page in the book photograph-able?

I’d love to have the recipe, if it’s not too much trouble! Is the page in the book photograph-able?

What a good idea Joel. Click to make it larger.
P6280056[1].jpg

What a good idea Joel. Click to make it larger.
View attachment 30494
Thank you! It looks scrumptious, maybe even something Mark would eat. And I love that “new imitation crab!” When I try it, I’ll let you know.

Having the actual page from the cookbook”or a pic of it” is charming. I’ll feel like I’m making a recipe handed down through generations.

You're welcome Joel. Long before the internet, Community Cookbooks were a very big deal for the home cook. I still have dozens of them in my collection and I was a contributor for several of them. This is the one from the "Company Crab Bake", circa 1988.
P6290057[1].jpg

You're welcome Joel. Long before the internet, Community Cookbooks were a very big deal for the home cook. I still have dozens of them in my collection and I was a contributor for several of them. This is the one from the "Company Crab Bake", circa 1988.
View attachment 30497
My mom had more than a few of those hanging around the house. She wasn’t really a cook, though, so most of them were stored someplace. I may have a few boxed up from the estate. I’ll bet there are some great little gems to be found!

Joel, if you want to get lost down "the rabbit hole" as we say, this is the place to go. I've posted this most amazing website before, and it continues to fascinate me. The dedication of this woman blows my mind. Enjoy..

RecipeCurio.com
Hehheh, I clicked on your link and found that I’d already had the site bookmarked! It’s a charming paean to home cooks of yesteryear. Some of the recipes are a bit odd, and some just plain difficult to visualize. One recipe for some kind of fish roll calls for rolling a dill pickle in a filet, securing it with a toothpick, then cutting it in half and baking “cut side up” in a roux-based cheese sauce. Cut it in half? Which way? Which half gets the toothpick? Fun and funny!

Kay, I remember you posting your individual little casserole dishes of Company Crab Bake. They look delish, and I'll try this. Thanks for re-posting.

As far as those little 'club' cookbooks...I also have many from my grandmother, mother, and more recently, several from my home town schools and churches. There are some keeper recipes in those little spiral bound books from home cooks. :):yum:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom