Purpose of this pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petereeagain

Assistant Cook
hi folks,
The pot shown in photo combines with saucepan & steamer. Any idea what this kind of pot is called, and its purpose? Just a single 7mm hole.
Thanks for your help !

Attachments

• P1120020.jpg
    P1120020.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 194
  • P1120019.JPG
    P1120019.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 113
I've never seen one with a hole but it looks like a double boiler insert that would be used to cook custards and sauces over simmering water or for holding foods to keep them warm over simmering water.

Looks like the top pot of a double boiler. Used to make delicate dishes, ingredients/sauces that may break/separate with direct heat. Such as melting chocolate or making hollandaise sauce. Water goes in the bottom pot making sure the top of water doesn’t come in contact with top pot. Water is heated to boiling then lowered to a simmer. Top pot is put on top and the ingredients in top pot are cooked by the heat and steam created in bottom pot. It can also be used to reheat delicate foods.

This is just my opinion. I’m not sure if I am correct. I use a bowl over hot water. I had a double boiler insert many years ago and it looked much like above pot.

Someone else may come on that will have better info.

Last edited:
Aunt Bea - I wondered about sauces, custards etc, but figured it would (via hole) end up adding perhaps unwanted mositure. I guess i can try it out !.

Cakepoet - there was definitely no hose or inserts; bought from Ikea many years ago.

Well that is how my friend IKEA saftmaja looks like and it has steam insert and small hose.

Oh a friend who works on IKEA said try to send a bit better pictures of both pots both inside and out and they will help you.

Well that is how my friend IKEA saftmaja looks like and it has steam insert and small hose.

Thanks for the photo clarification.
The single hole on mine is on a horizontal shelf around inside of pan, keeping moisture in, not allowing it out.

Thanks Cakepoet; very kind help from you all :yum:

Total of 4 sections - pan, steamer, pan with hole, lid

Attachments

• P1120022.JPG
    P1120022.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 107
  • P1120024.jpg
    P1120024.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
It seems like that hole would rest on the lip of the bottom pot where the top pot rests, closing off the hole (the whole would be over the edge of the bottom pot). I have no idea what the purpose would be but I don’t think the steam would get into top pot.

Thank you all for the amazingly quick, helpful replies !
I'm satisfied, that whatever the original intention, it will work great for sauces, keeping food warm etc

I shown the picture to said friend and he says it could be IKEA double steamer.

It doesn't look like you would/could use the top two pieces together. The deep bowl of the top piece would fill the middle piece almost entirely.

I agree with the uses for the pieces. The base pot would be filled with water and you could use either the steamer or double boiler inserts with the lid.

Back
Top Bottom