What's on the menu Friday 7/20/2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Well I'm going to try again for enchilada dinner tonight.

But who knows what will happen.

Well my refried beans are cooking in the Instant Pot. First run on these.
Hopefully they will turn out good.

I'm roasting a chicken thigh and a breast to make what I was going to make yesterday, chicken enchiladas. The jack cheese is shredded, cotija cheese is crumbled, the roasted chiles and green onions are chopped.

I'm only making 4 or maybe 5 enchiladas, so whatever chicken is leftover will be made into chicken salad for sandwiches.

Cheryl, with those ingredients your enchilada's will be great! Are you using corn or flour tortilla's? Do you have a sauce secret?

SC came home with a real haul from the market sales today so there's lots of freezer prep to do, and lots of dinner choices but I think I'll be doing something Mexican too. Maybe http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/k-ls-chicken-nachos-99320.html

Last edited:
mmm@ the Mexican dishes.. :yum:

I'm grilling BBQ seasoned pork chops soon... Put together a dilatini mac salad earlier..

Slicing tomatoes and avocado dressed with sesame vinaigrette as veggies..

I guess that makes it a two salad dinner.. :wacko:

Ross

I'm roasting a chicken thigh and a breast to make what I was going to make yesterday, chicken enchiladas. The jack cheese is shredded, cotija cheese is crumbled, the roasted chiles and green onions are chopped.

I'm only making 4 or maybe 5 enchiladas, so whatever chicken is leftover will be made into chicken salad for sandwiches.

The beans could use a bit of salt and maybe some Frank’s.

I’ve never used cotija cheese. Is it mild, tangy, salty, other?

Cheryl, with those ingredients your enchilada's will be great! Are you using corn or flour tortilla's? Do you have a sauce secret?

SC came home with a real haul from the market sales today so there's lots of freezer prep to do, and lots of dinner choices but I think I'll be doing something Mexican too. Maybe http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/k-ls-chicken-nachos-99320.html

Thanks, Kay. I'm using corn tortillas because I like the taste better with enchiladas, even though flour tortillas hold up a little better.

Thank you for the reminder of your wonderful sounding nachos!

No sauce secret! :LOL: I usually use bottled Herdez brand salsa verde when I make chicken enchiladas, but I ran out a few days ago. I saw La Victoria has a "thick and chunky" salsa verde, so I thought I'd give that a try. I love the taste of Herdez, but I'm not a fan of how thin it is and just kind of spreads on the plate. So, we'll see if this passes the taste test! :yum:

Attachments

• La Victoria salsa verde.jpg
    La Victoria salsa verde.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I was talking w/ Dx earlier today and we were discussing what we might exchange from our gardens. We both have cukes and zukes, so uh, not today.

All these Mexican dishes have me drooling.

I am putting together a Small, cuke, cherry tomato, red onion, kalamata olive salad with a red wine vinegar/lemon/garlic/fresh oregano dressing. It can marinate a couple hours and serve with grilled pork chops.

The beans could use a bit of salt and maybe some Frank’s.

I’ve never used cotija cheese. Is it mild, tangy, salty, other?

I'd say tangy and salty. It's crumbly and not a melty cheese, but it does soften when heated, and lasts quite a while in the fridge. I love it and its very good on refried beans.

----------------
Ross, another one glad to hear you're grillin' again, and that you have found a Mexican restaurant that you and Jeannie love! (from a few dinner posts ago..:))
----------------
Whisk...your salad sounds so cool and refreshing.

Last edited:
Good plan Ross, glad you're enjoying grilling again. Question though..what's "dilatini mac salad"?
Italian pasta, same size as salad mac... Seems that I cannot buy plain ol salad macaroni in this area.. Was the same when we lived here before.. Had to buy in Cali and carry here in luggage.. :neutral:
Ross

mmm@ the Mexican dishes.. :yum:

I'm grilling BBQ seasoned pork chops soon... Put together a dilatini mac salad earlier..

Slicing tomatoes and avocado dressed with sesame vinaigrette as veggies..

I guess that makes it a two salad dinner.. :wacko:

Ross
Turned out pretty good..

Attachments

• Pork Chop Dinner.jpg
    Pork Chop Dinner.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 154
I'd say tangy and salty. It's crumbly and not a melty cheese, but it does soften when heated, and lasts quite a while in the fridge. I love it and its very good on refried beans.

----------------
Ross, another one glad to hear you're grillin' again, and that you have found a Mexican restaurant that you and Jeannie love! (from a few dinner posts ago..:))
----------------
Whisk...your salad sounds so cool and refreshing.
Thank you, Cheryl.. :)

Both have turned out to be really good and fun.. :yum:

Ross

Italian pasta, same size as salad mac... Seems that I cannot buy plain ol salad macaroni in this area.. Was the same when we lived here before.. Had to buy in Cali and carry here in luggage.. :neutral:
Ross

This must be what you mean? I see it all the time in the 2 grocery stores we have here and love it for macaroni salads and soups. :yum: I can't imagine them not carrying it in Springfield grocery stores, but you can buy it on Amazon. Ditalini:
https://www.barilla.com/en-us/produ...asta&msclkid=d6fe2934ec5118c775727266b8a3440c

Ross
I'm also curious to know what plain ol salad macaroni is ;) There are so many shapes and sizes available now. I like the unusual shapes they have at TJ Maxx.

We're going to our monthly neighborhood cocktail party tonight. I made a chicken satay pasta salad - a riff on the Thai chicken satay with spicy peanut sauce. I'm relaxing on the porch for a few while the salad chills before I head over. DH is golfing; he'll come to the party later.

This must be what you mean? I see it all the time in the 2 grocery stores we have here and love it for macaroni salads and soups. :yum: I can't imagine them not carrying it in Springfield grocery stores, but you can buy it on Amazon. Ditalini:
https://www.barilla.com/en-us/produ...asta&msclkid=d6fe2934ec5118c775727266b8a3440c

Yes, that's it.. The brand I found in a chain store here is DaVinci, imported from Italy... The only such product I have run across in my 7 years living in MO..
I'm also curious to know what plain ol salad macaroni is ;) There are so many shapes and sizes available now. I like the unusual shapes they have at TJ Maxx.
Its shape is as Cheryl linked to above.. Since, at least the 70's, that shape has been our go-to macaroni shape for mac salad.. I'm not 100% certain but one of the brands I believe I always bought was American Beauty.. I think the shape is more popular in the west..

This may seem silly but, to me, it just isn't mac salad if the shape is not the same.. :wacko:

Ross

I'm trying a new recipe for chili colorado tonight. We'll have that with corn muffins/tortillas and a salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom