Does anyone use a garbage disposal anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
Back in the 80s, I had two of them. One in the sink and one attached to the kitchen floor whenever I cooked something and went by the name of You Dumb Doberman.

I miss them both.

Not literally attached, jenny. It was her dog that "went by the name of You Dumb Doberman".

Glad to hear that the doberman stayed on the floor. :LOL: Might be a bit awkward standing on the countertop...

Not literally attached, jenny. It was her dog that "went by the name of You Dumb Doberman".

Glad to hear that the doberman stayed on the floor. :LOL: Might be a bit awkward standing on the countertop...
:doh: :LOL:
I did wonder about that name for a garbage disposal, but the penny didn't drop. Thanks for the explanation. :doh:

Gosh! Haven't had one in over 30 years and don't miss it at all.

Most of our vegetable matter hits the compost area, which equates to our forsythia bushes and cedars near one of our fence rows.

The protein goes to as someone already mentioned "You Dumb Doberman," except ours are Harley our boxer and Sparky our husky. They make short work of anything and everything offered.

Egg shells are ground up and put on our garden and when we have eggstras, they're put in sealed buckets for the next gardening season.

Not much hits the trash can.

I would be lost without my GD. I use it several times a day. I have no place I can compost as I live in a condo development.

I remember being a very young married with a broken GD and no extra money to fix or replace it for well over a year...what a PITA that was!!! If "someone" didn't replace the strainer, guess who got to fish the garbage out by hand? Ohh the good 'ole days....:angry:

Back in 1999 when I bought my condo, I was told GDs were not permitted. Shortly after moving in, I was reading over the rules and regulations and came across a single sentence that made my day. "Food waste disposers are permitted"! I literally stopped what I was doing and went out and bought and installed a GD that afternoon.

I didn’t have a GD the whole time I lived in Japan. And no compost heap either, as I lived in one of those rabbit hutch apartments with a very narrow concrete balcony. All the waste went in the trash, which, in the summertime, could get very fragrant if not emptied after each meal! But I didn’t have a lot of things - an oven, for one. Had to make do with two gas burners and a funky little broiler in between them, a deluxe toaster oven, and a microwave. When Barbara Kafka released The Microwave Gourmet, I was ready to see her canonized!

Never had one. I'm used to peeling carrots into free newspaper ads...and cleaning out the sink from onion ends and papers. And we have a good dishwasher but usually only use it during canning season for sanitizing the jars.

Nope.

My bro in law pulled it to get at the dishwasher one time. Asked him not to reconnect it. Haven't missed it.

My only issue is I don't drink as much coffee as I used to, so I run out of containers to put misc stuff in for the compost pile, and the coffee cans periodically need changing.

Back in the 80s, I had two of them. One in the sink and one attached to the kitchen floor whenever I cooked something and went by the name of You Dumb Doberman.

I miss them both.

:LOL: BAHAHAHA!

vito.jpg

vito puppy.jpg

Our 125 pound GSD didn't just dispose of food on the floor, he would get up on the counter, the table, GO INTO THE `FRIDGE … !

:ROFLMAO:

DH said he had only one rule, "NO ROAD!" He would stop dead cold right at the edge of the property line and never cross it, but steal food whenever someone wasn't looking? ALL THE TIME!! :)

Funny you mention this topic RR, I just recently replaced out contractor-cheap-o disposal with a full horse power model, much better brand as well ;)
That baby can take on anything! Our community does not allow composting. For the six months that we rented from Mister & Missus Landlord (`member them? such nice folks), we didn't have a GD-they were on septic and I understand that isn't a good idea … :ohmy:

Beautiful German Shepard, kgirl! :wub:
Timely post for this thread here as well. My 15 year old GD just gave up the ghost last week - I tried several times resetting it with the little red button on the bottom, and inserted and twisted the little allen wrench thingie, but no go. It just 'hums' when I turn it on.

I don't have a garden so I don't compost, so I'll go to Home Depot in the next day or two for a new one, then call my wonderful, trusted, and reliable handyman to come and install it for me. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom