Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Road Food (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f109/)
-   -   Road Trip from Arizona To Maryland And Everywhere In Between (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f109/road-trip-from-arizona-to-maryland-and-everywhere-in-between-100451.html)

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-26-2018 06:46 PM

Road Trip from Arizona To Maryland And Everywhere In Between

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to thank everyone who gave me ideas of what to eat and see along our most recent road trip
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ons-99892.html
Both DH and I had a BLAST!!
And as Missus Dear Friend likes to say
"... and you guys didn't kill each other, again".
:lol:

So, to catch y'all up...

We started out from our home in Arizona, making our first nights stop in Tumcumcari New Mexico... no place to really write home about. It was simply a stop to rest up, have a meal in our room and motor on

Dinner -
Attachment 30782
I prepped one meal ahead of time so that we could just relax our first night, AND there isn't much in Tucumcari :lol:
So, it was one of our favorite meals, grilled Teriyaki b/s Chicken thighs, steamed white rice with Aloha Brand Shoyu
(I want to tell you a quick story about these individual packs of Aloha Shoyu--- I "cockaroached" - what we say in Hawaii when you do a five finger discount - some packs while back home in May :lol:)
and my quick Cucumber Kim Chee, YUM! Most ono, comforting and we went right to sleep...

Kayelle 07-26-2018 10:04 PM

Ohhh goodie!! I love a travel log. Can't wait to hear more!!!

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-27-2018 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Right K-L?
I love to hear about other folks travels, it gives me inspiration, yeah?

I forgot to mention that I had made breakfast for the road too, Blast Off Food as I call it.
We usually leave so early in the AM and we're not really ready to eat then, maybe about an hour or so into our road trip.

Attachment 30789
[file photo, we were too busy to take "at the time photos"]
I made us Spam Musubi to start us out, :yum:
We travel with a cooler behind my seat, full of drinks.
I had bottled water, some juice, Iced Tea, cream for coffee in our hotel room, and a thermos of coffee too! Gotta stay alert!!!

I also always travel with paper plates, plastic forks, spoons and knives...
a coupla rolls of paper towels, TP (ya neva know!), a few old kitchen towels for various uses (mostly to mop up any messes and to use as gross picnic table coverage at rest stops when we stop to have lunch of sandwiches, and yes I have those makings with us too :chef:)
I have a plastic milk carton grate that comes with us, filled with my "kitchen goods" which also includes a plastic flexible cutting board, a very inexpensive very sharp knife, S&P grinder containers, snacks, homemade goodies, and don't forget a coupla cases of bottled water and a case of TJ's Three Buck Chuck!
As I say, we travel self-contained! We don't want for much :lol:

And NO, we don't drive a HUGE truck, simply a Honda CR-V that now has almost 122,000 miles on it :ohmy::wacko::rofl:

Come along for the ride, I'll fill you in :smile:

JustJoel 07-27-2018 12:58 AM

I spent the night once in Tucumcari! Not much to write home about there, except for maybe the name, which is just fun to say!

larry_stewart 07-27-2018 05:08 AM

Im not the biggest fan of flying, so over the past few years we've done many road trips (actually doing another one in the fall). Usually our first day's travel snacks are any vegetables we have left in the fridge ( last thing we want to do is come home to a produce draw filled with rotten veggies). We cut up the carrots, celery, cucumbers .... We usually get some apples too. They are pretty good traveling fruit which hold up pretty well. Being vegetarians, we sometimes run into food issues in some remote places, so we always have PBJ on hand , just incase.

Ill be paying attention to this thread for some new ideas.

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-27-2018 07:27 PM

I agree with you JJ, Tucumcari, it's just fun to say...

Yeah Larry, both DH and I are with you! I fly only if we HAVE to.

Rocklobster 07-27-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJoel (Post 1557028)
I spent the night once in Tucumcari! Not much to write home about there, except for maybe the name, which is just fun to say!

It's mentioned on a song by Little Feat..good tune, also..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9VFC6-Inw

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-27-2018 07:47 PM

Next Stop ...

2 Attachment(s)
Fort Smith Arkansas

DH and I our huge American History buffs and this stop did not disappoint.

Steve, I had my eye on the Rib Room that you suggested, only thing is, they're closed on Sundays, as many restaurants where here.

So

Attachment 30795

Attachment 30796

Bricktown Brewery, located in a beautiful, historic building! Gorgeous!

We had spent more time than we had expected at the Fort Smith NHS, so it was a late lunch/early dinner for us two.
We shared an order of the Bavarian Pretzel Sticks, and the cheese dip was outstanding!
We each ordered the Bricktown Burger, also quite delicious!
My designated driver had water, while I enjoyed a lovely locally brewed dark Beer, can't remember what it was called but it was great!

We had a pretty nasty storm come in, so it was back to the hotel for refuge.

caseydog 07-27-2018 07:55 PM

I wish my recent travels would have been for fun. I was planning to go on a road rally with a whole lot of MINI Cooper owners, but had to work, instead. I traveled a lot, but it wasn't at all fun.

BTW, Rock, Little Feat is one of my favorite bands. I first heard of them when the released Texas Twister -- fell in love with there sound.

Sorry for the thread-jack. Carry on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZKp8_jw4fw

CD

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-27-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1557138)
It's mentioned on a song by Little Feat..good tune, also..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9VFC6-Inw

:lol:
HA!
DH really likes Little Feat and we had not heard this song before... so I played the video for him and all he could do was laugh!
"... Tucson to Tucumcari Tehachapi to Tonapah "
All places we've been.
There's another town name that I love, Tehachapi, it's really beautiful there too, well when the weather cooperates that is :rolleyes:

caseydog 07-27-2018 08:17 PM

Little Feat is good road-trip music. You can sing along, and make people in other cars wonder if you are talking to yourself. :lol:

Road-trip music is a genre of it's own. It makes miles and miles of dull Interstate tolerable.

CD

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-27-2018 11:44 PM

DH didn't know I could sing until we started taking road trips, which by the way, our first road trip was OUR HONEYMOON!
Baltimore to Kennebunkport and back again.
Now we have Sirius Radio and other services through our phones.
We sing, we laugh, we talk ... we really enjoy the open road.

Cooking Goddess 07-28-2018 03:03 AM

K-Girl! Looking forward to more installments. So far I'm enjoying the ride-along. BTW, the first time Lovery and I drove out to Tempe AZ to deposit progeny #1 at college, we stopped at the NM visitor's center and asked where a good place to eat would be. The guy at the desk told us to get off in Tucumcari and what roads to turn at to get to a tiny joint at a point in the road - Lena's. The place could not have seated even two dozen, tiny counter with what amounted to a kitchen behind it - and when you needed to use the facilities you had to walk through said kitchen to get to the water closet (it wasn't much more than that). But the FOOD! The next year through, Himself and I were driving Goober back. By then, Lena's had moved to a different, larger place...and the food wasn't as good. A few years later, he and I looked all over for Lena's when making a run to take Goober back to OH, but it had closed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 1557152)
...Road-trip music is a genre of it's own. It makes miles and miles of dull Interstate tolerable...

You're so right, cd. Jimmy Buffett is my go-to when the other drivers on the road are driving me crazy. Hard to be angry when listening to Buffett!

cjmmytunes 07-28-2018 08:23 AM

CG, speaking of Jimmy Buffett, he's doing a song with Kenny Chesney on Kenny's new CD. "Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season"

PrincessFiona60 07-28-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1557175)
You're so right, cd. Jimmy Buffett is my go-to when the other drivers on the road are driving me crazy. Hard to be angry when listening to Buffett!

Always Buffett for the road!

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-28-2018 11:27 AM

Cookville Tennessee

This is not the first time that we've driven to the East Coast.
We've learned a few lessons with that.
One is, don't try to kill ourselves driving such long legs in the journey, remembering that it is the journey.

This was simply an overnighter, no sightseeing at this stop.
And it was a good thing too! DH was quite cranky by the end of this day.
So rather than fuss, we ate a popular chain restaurant.
I thought that this would be easy-peasy, but NOOOOO
That was the worst experience we've ever had at TGI Fridays.
Bad service, slow kitchen, horrible food!
And again, a kick-butt storm rolled in to scare the pee-wade out of me, let me tell you folks!!! :turned:

caseydog 07-28-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1557175)
K-Girl! Looking forward to more installments. So far I'm enjoying the ride-along. BTW, the first time Lovery and I drove out to Tempe AZ to deposit progeny #1 at college, we stopped at the NM visitor's center and asked where a good place to eat would be. The guy at the desk told us to get off in Tucumcari and what roads to turn at to get to a tiny joint at a point in the road - Lena's. The place could not have seated even two dozen, tiny counter with what amounted to a kitchen behind it - and when you needed to use the facilities you had to walk through said kitchen to get to the water closet (it wasn't much more than that). But the FOOD! The next year through, Himself and I were driving Goober back. By then, Lena's had moved to a different, larger place...and the food wasn't as good. A few years later, he and I looked all over for Lena's when making a run to take Goober back to OH, but it had closed.

I've never been a big Jimmy Buffet fan, but he used to do a concert every year at the soccer stadium a couple miles from my house. The town would be full of "Parrot Heads" for a couple of days. I got a good kick out of the RVs and tailgating set-ups around the stadium. Those people take partying seriously. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txMPXfiDRgw

CD

cjmmytunes 07-29-2018 08:25 AM

CD, back in 2003 when the OBX had some severe damage from Hurricane Isabel, Jimmy Buffett and some of his Parrotheads brought a plane full of much needed supplies to help the people of coastal Dare and Hyde counties. My sister and her husband got to meet him.

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-29-2018 04:53 PM

The Family Gathering In Virginia

7 Attachment(s)
Attachment 30820

Attachment 30821

We made it!
Huddleston Virginia, Smith Mountain Lake.

Most of the gang had rented a lake front home; DH's older Brother rented another home just a few doors away for his crew, but we opted for a small condo down the shore a bit, maybe 10 minutes away, it worked great.
We all would gather during the later morning hours and recreate together.

Attachment 30822

Attachment 30823

Attachment 30824

Attachment 30825
[this is DH's youngest sister's husband, I call him my favorite brother-in-law]
Our Captain above-mainly because he was the one in the group who was licensed to drive a boat! We had a nice boat, kayaks, jet skies, canoes, stand up paddle boards and lots of floaties! I liked the pink flamingos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqcAWEX-C8

It was a blast with all the kids!
In total, there are 25, no now 26
Attachment 30826

Dear Niece #3 is now engaged. So romantic, her beau proposed at sunset, while paddling her around the lake in a canoe. It was a hoot! All of us were lined up on the deck of the house, waiting for them to come back she throw her hand, with it's beautiful new sparkly ring on it, up in the air and screams "I said yes! HEH! You guys all knew?"
It's too big of a family to keep a secret! :lol:

We're here for a week, YAY!!

Kayelle 07-29-2018 06:52 PM

Ohh what a great family gathering Kgirl. I really like the sleeping arrangements for the end of fun filled days. Perfect!!!

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-29-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1557401)
Ohh what a great family gathering Kgirl. I really like the sleeping arrangements for the end of fun filled days. Perfect!!!

It really did work out well.

DH's is from a family of four, so it was each siblings family in each respective section.

That two story home in the photo that you see above has the two sisters families on each floor; Big Brother's family in the house a coupla doors over (no photo, sorry) and then the condo (again no photo) for DH and I on a different part of the lake.

I gotta tell ya, the upstairs portion of that house was the most full and raucous!, but surely fun! (must have been, `cuz that's where we all congragated :wink:)
3 bedrooms, 1 bath, 4 little kids and four adults ... oh and a doggie downstairs, who didn't want to stay downstairs :rofl:

Hmmm
Can't imagine why I suggested to DH a condo ... :lol:

Cooking Goddess 07-30-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz (Post 1557387)
...We're here for a week, YAY!!

Hey history buffs, from that location you were only 21 miles from Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest, only 30 miles from Lynchburg, and about 45 from Appomatox. Since you had already driven a butt-sore ton of miles already, did you add a few more and head home by way of one of those sites?

BTW, sounds like you guys had a blast! With me being an only, Himself having just one sibling, and each couple having only one married child (now living in Taiwan, no less) between all of us, it makes for some rather small gatherings...like four in a room. :lol: I love when we go visit Himself's cousins in Allentown - little get-togethers of 100 was nothing back before the cousins about ten years older than Himself started dying. :cry:

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-30-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1557447)
Hey history buffs, from that location you were only 21 miles from Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest, only 30 miles from Lynchburg, and about 45 from Appomatox. Since you had already driven a butt-sore ton of miles already, did you add a few more and head home by way of one of those sites?

BTW, sounds like you guys had a blast! With me being an only, Himself having just one sibling, and each couple having only one married child (now living in Taiwan, no less) between all of us, it makes for some rather small gatherings...like four in a room. :lol: I love when we go visit Himself's cousins in Allentown - little get-togethers of 100 was nothing back before the cousins about ten years older than Himself started dying. :cry:

Yeah, well, I had a list of places that I really wanted to see while there, but, by the time we all got out of the lake once it got dark around 8pm and had a communal supper of your basic hamburger, hot dogs and pizza (loads of kids, small & medium sized) and us not getting back to our condo until 10p-12a each might, there wasn't any room in the day to sight-see in Virginia, next time.
BTW, this is not our first visit to Virginia, we've been all over, but this particular part was a first.

Also, I come from a very small family, 1 younger sister and neither of us has children, so being with "my other family" is the best!!!

caseydog 07-30-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz (Post 1557519)
Yeah, well, I had a list of places that I really wanted to see while there, but, by the time we all got out of the lake once it got dark around 8pm and had a communal supper of your basic hamburger, hot dogs and pizza (loads of kids, small & medium sized) and us not getting back to our condo until 10p-12a each might, there wasn't any room in the day to sight-see in Virginia, next time.
BTW, this is not our first visit to Virginia, we've been all over, but this particular part was a first.

Also, I come from a very small family, 1 younger sister and neither of us has children, so being with "my other family" is the best!!!

If you ever do another road trip that takes you through Texas, let me know. Most of the state is flat and ugly, but there are some sweet spots. Dallas is a lot like Phoenix, ugly but there is some good food to be eaten.

The Texas Hill Country is where the real good food is. Texas BBQ heaven.

East Texas is very pretty, but loaded with rednecks. Not a problem, if you are tolerant have have a sense of humor. Some East Texas rednecks are very funny people. Great storytellers.

CD

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-30-2018 06:41 PM

Last Night At The Lake

14 Attachment(s)
My husband's older Brother decided that dinner should be catered (no one else did, but we all went along with him and paid our fair share) of what he called Bar-B-Que.

Attachment 30837
Attachment 30838
Attachment 30839
Attachment 30840
Attachment 30841
Attachment 30842
Attachment 30843
Attachment 30844
Attachment 30845
Attachment 30846
Attachment 30847

I gotta tell you guys, it was not very good, although the salad was delicious!

Attachment 30833

Attachment 30834

Attachment 30835

It was alot of fun!

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-30-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydog (Post 1557522)
If you ever do another road trip that takes you through Texas, let me know. Most of the state is flat and ugly, but there are some sweet spots. Dallas is a lot like Phoenix, ugly but there is some good food to be eaten.

The Texas Hill Country is where the real good food is. Texas BBQ heaven.

East Texas is very pretty, but loaded with rednecks. Not a problem, if you are tolerant have have a sense of humor. Some East Texas rednecks are very funny people. Great storytellers.

CD

You know it Casey!
We've been all through Texas, can't really say what's my favorite though.

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-30-2018 07:00 PM

Ooh! I Forgot To Mention ...

... this is my very first time on/in a lake!!!

It did creep me out at first (somebody hand me my beer!), but so long as I just blocked out that there were snapping turtles below and around me, not to mention water snakes ...
I was good!

caseydog 07-30-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz (Post 1557529)
... this is my very first time on a lake!!!

It did creep me out at first (somebody hand me my beer!), but so long as I just blocked out that there were snapping turtles below and around me, not to mention water snakes ...
I was good!

I learned to waterski in a bayou with alligators. Great motivation not to fall. :lol:

I have owned four boats, and used to have a lake house. I had one of those water tubes. Mine would only hold one person. If that one person got on my nerves, they took a beating. A 300 HP boat can pop a skier up like a cork, and toss an annoying person in a tube a good 30 feet. :lol:

CD

Kayelle 07-30-2018 07:48 PM

Kgirl, I gotta say the picture of that little boy asleep in his life vest made me tear up with wonderful very old lake memories.

We had a bunch of friends who were all like family, and all of your pictures speak to me loud and clear. How I loved those good ole days with RV's, lakes, kids, water toys and boats.

caseydog 07-30-2018 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1557538)
Kgirl, I gotta say the picture of that little boy asleep in his life vest made me tear up with wonderful very old lake memories.

We had a bunch of friends who were all like family, and all of your pictures speak to me loud and clear. How I loved those good ole days with RV's, lakes, kids, water toys and boats.

One of my favorite memories is me and my dad out on Seadoos. He was never around when I was a kid, but when he retired, he had a lot of spare time, and spare money, and I talked him into buying lots of toys.

CD

Cooking Goddess 07-31-2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz (Post 1557524)

That photo says it all!

Nice pics. Glad you enjoyed your trip. And I'm with you on the *meh* for a catered event. Our street used to have an annual summer block party. One year we decided to do the Rib Guy instead of doing all the food ourselves. Cost the most, enjoyed the least.

Kayelle 07-31-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz (Post 1557529)
... this is my very first time on/in a lake!!!

I was good!

I gotta hand it to you with snapping turtles and snakes!!:ohmy: We don't have those in California lakes.
On the other hand, you and I both love the Pacific and well, we know what's there. :cool::mrgreen:

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-31-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1557572)
I gotta hand it to you with snapping turtles and snakes!!:ohmy: We don't have those in California lakes.
On the other hand, you and I both love the Pacific and well, we know what's there. :cool::mrgreen:

That's for sure K-L!! You see through the water in Hawaii :lol:

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-31-2018 06:42 PM

Onward!

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, so it was time for loads of tears and long goodbyes, but we had to do it!

We motored on to Chincoteague Island Virginia.

Attachment 30852

Attachment 30853

Attachment 30854

My dearest Husband has a longtime friend that recently purchased a home there and they had not seen each other in more than 30 years.

On our first night, our gracious host grilled up some beautiful Prime Porterhouse Steaks for supper...

Attachment 30855

The two boys went inside to replenish their adult beverages, and got to yackin', leaving me outside in the lovely Summer Evening, until I started to smell SMOKE!

I dashed over to the grill, with flames shooting up into the sky, but there were no utensils, what's a cook to do?
I let the flames die down and reached in barehanded to flip those babies over, that's what! :lol:
Those were too precious to waste.

Attachment 30856

"Ah, perfect medium rare!" DH's pal exclaimed...
One side of the steak was a bit brown, shall we say, but tasty none the less.
:smile:

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-31-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz (Post 1557624)
That's for sure K-L!! You see through the water in Hawaii :lol:

Oh and I totally forgot to say, those beers sure did help me to forget all about those pesky critters :rofl:

Cooking Goddess 07-31-2018 06:52 PM

I've never seen Cajun style porterhouse steaks before...

Kaneohegirlinaz 07-31-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess (Post 1557637)
I've never seen Cajun style porterhouse steaks before...

:lol::rofl:

Kaneohegirlinaz 08-01-2018 06:33 PM

One More Day With An Old Friend

4 Attachment(s)
My husband's buddy took us around Chincoteague and Assateague Islands, Virginia.

Each of the guys pulled out their Senior Park Passes; I had no idea that it was maintained by the NPS. Well, I gotta say that I've never been to this area before and it was super cool seeing the Wild Ponies.

We decided on lunch out at a joint not far over the bridge, on the mainland.
Ray's Shanty

Attachment 30863
DH ordered something that he never ate before, Fried Oysters, and loved them. Usually, he eats raw on the half shell, but he said that never fills him up, so he went for the platter with slaw and fries.

Attachment 30864
DH's Old Friend and I both ordered the Shanty Special 3 Item plate of Flounder, Steamed Shrimp and Clam Strips --- OH MY GAWD!!!

I haven't had Flounder in I don't know how long and the Shrimp --- Holy Cow!! The best I've ever eaten, bar none! I shared some of my Flounder with DH, mainly `cuz, I was getting so dang full!
That was delicious!

It was getting pretty hot and humid out, so we sauntered over to visit with DH's other old pals, his buddy's sister and BIL--- they all went to school together.
Well, by then it was just about supper time …
We stayed on Chincoteague and went to Bill's Prime Seafood and Steaks.
Attachment 30865
Attachment 30866
Both DH and I had a salad, it was huge, and I ordered Crab cakes to DH's 2 plates of raw Oysters on the half shell.
That was a real treat for us!

Kaneohegirlinaz 08-02-2018 08:04 PM

Let's Motor!

2 Attachment(s)
From DH's old pal's house in Virginia, we motored on the Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, one of my husband's favorite National Parks.
They have built a new Visitors Center since we were here last and it was so interesting, we spent the entire day there.

Attachment 30873

Attachment 30874
I found this one display in the Museum fascinating

From there we made a big circle to DH's younger Sister's home in Maryland and then on to his older Brother's home in West Virginia. We only stayed a coupla days in each locale.
Neither home is into food very much, so it was very homey, typical meals served family style with them-no photos.

Cheryl J 08-02-2018 08:23 PM

I'm really enjoying your pics, kgirl. Love the foodie ones, but the one of the little guy asleep on the raft got me....looks like my youngest grandson and that would so be something he would do. :lol: Thank you for continuing to share your travel pics and stories!