A "score" at Salvation Army yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I don't usually stop at the Salvation Army thrift store because it's in a pretty out of the way area of the "big city" I visit about every two weeks.

As it happened, I had to pick up a pair of repaired glasses for Glenn and the thrift store was only a few blocks away. I hadn't been there in several years and was surprised that it was a bit nicer than it had been. Another reason I seldom stopped. It was usually kind of trashy and unkempt.

I browsed and ended up with three items, less than $10 including tax.

The item I was most excited about was a pristine Luray Pastels 14" chop plate/platter. No nicks, scratches, crazing. Nuthin'. Less than $2.

Second item was a beautiful ceramic canister, about the size to keep tea, and in the same pattern as a mug I had in the car as a gift for my best friend's birthday. She loves tea and I was going to drop her gift off before I left town. Lucky for her, she also would get a canister for her tea to match the mug. This little beauty was under $3

Then, as I was finishing my "grazing," I spotted a Soda Stream carbonation machine on an upper shelf. We have a different model and love it. Picked it up and it was mine for $4.99. I'd wanted one to use in my studio when I'm working out there but couldn't justify the price of a new one. Five bucks was justifiable! Plus, it had a CO2 cylinder in it. Empty but, lucky me again, I had two in the car I was going to exchange at Bed Bath & Beyond later in the day.

When I went to BBB, I exchanged all 3 cylinders and, using my trusty $$$$ of coupons, and only paid $30. These should last us a couple of months in spite of using our Soda Stream daily.

I had a shopping good day!!

Last edited:
Excellent buys Katie.

I searched and searched for a replacement 33 quart canner when mine had a hole in it and was not repairable. Found one for less than 1/2 the price at $15 (facebook buy/sell/trade group), that is a score and she'd only used it once, it is in perfect condition.

Excellent buys Katie.

I searched and searched for a replacement 33 quart canner when mine had a hole in it and was not repairable. Found one for less than 1/2 the price at $15 (facebook buy/sell/trade group), that is a score and she'd only used it once, it is in perfect condition.

You made out very very well.

And, yes, the Facebook Marketplace is a good place to buy/sell. Just this last week or two, we sold our Harley motorcycle, a small tractor and a finishing mower. The tractor and mower sold the afternoon of the day we listed them.

Back
Top Bottom