Courgette soup recipe - very quick and easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike1958

Assistant Cook
Snowed under with courgettes - just thought I would share a soup recipe I have just made.

I never throw away any water (stock) I have boiled vegetables in, the stock that happened to fall out of the freezer on this occasion was cabbage & spinach.

The recipe.....

Put about 1 litre of homemade stock in a pan to heat up.

Meanwhile....

Fry 3 onions and an equal quantity of courgettes both finely chopped in a BIG pan for about an hour or until very soft and very sweet. Use plenty of oil.

Add a good tablespoon of flour and stir in.

Add a piece of cheese (chopped) about the size of one or two fag packets.

Add carton of Ricotta.

Start adding warm stock gradually and continue stirring until the soup is fairly hot and the cheese has melted.

Blitz with blender and add pepper to taste.

Mike

ohhhh... zucchini....

being in missouri, I thought this was a recipe for those cute little doggies...

:ROFLMAO::LOL:
just teasing!! just teasing!!.. :wacko:

Ross

Is there any particular kind of cheese that should be used, Mike? With ricotta being very mild, I would think it wouldn't matter - just whatever you have a taste for or what's in the cheese drawer.

ohhhh... zucchini....

being in missouri, I thought this was a recipe for those cute little doggies...

:ROFLMAO::LOL:
just teasing!! just teasing!!.. :wacko:

Ross
That would be a Welsh recipe, Ross. I think Mike lives in England.

Location: York: Could the cheese you use be Wednsleydale? In which case are you looking for are looking for a creamy, fairly crumbly cheese with a slightly acid bite?

I live in Italy now, but I lived in Yorkshire for years. I'm intrigued!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

The cheese I used on this occasion was Sainsburys Taste the Difference Mull of Kintyre Extra Mature. The Ricotta went in because it had been hanging around in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I do make a lot of soup and always use the same method with the main aim to make use of as much of my own home grown produce as possible. The soup obviously varies depending on which vegetables I need to use - courgette, peas, beans, leeks, spinach, potatoes etc. Always fry plenty of onions until very sweet. Always use my own stock saved from boiling veg - whatever falls out of the freezer. I would never use bought stock, if I don't have my own stock I don't make soup. Always add some cheese - whatever is to hand - white. red. blue. Although I say it myself the soup is always delicious.

Mike

well, I did find what courgettes are, much harder time with fag. It is a derogatory term here in US, care to explain, please, Mike?

well, I did find what courgettes are, much harder time with fag. It is a derogatory term here in US, care to explain, please, Mike?
I think "Fag" is a cigarette in England. So "two fag packets" would be the size of 2 packs of cigarettes.

PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong.

I would have to use store bought vegetable stock for this soup.

I microwave steam all my vegetables without adding any additional liquid. I think steaming is healthier, keeps the healthy nutrients in the vegetables. PLUS it keeps house cool in hot weather, saves energy and cooks quicker. So I never have any liquid to save/freeze. I do boil my potatoes most of the time but don't save that water. I also steam potatoes and sweet potatoes in my Instant Pot (with 1 cup water) electric pressure cooker.

I think "Fag" is a cigarette in England. So "two fag packets" would be the size of 2 packs of cigarettes.

PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct. As someone who used to occasionally work in the UK, I've heard that phrase a number of times and it always kind of made me cringe. The first time I heard it I was getting on an elevator (aka "lift") when two guys came out of a nearby office, and I overheard one of them say, "Let's go smoke a fag." :ohmy:

Thinking it sounded a little violent, I wasn't sure if maybe I needed to "ring up a bobby" or what. :LOL:

Last edited:
You are correct. As someone who used to occasionally work in the UK, I've heard that phrase a number of times and it always kind of made me cringe. The first time I heard it I was getting on an elevator (aka "lift") when two guys came out of a nearby office, and I overheard one of them say, "Let's go smoke a fag." :ohmy:

Thinking it sounded a little violent, I wasn't sure if maybe I needed to "ring up a bobby" or what. :LOL:
Thank you for confirmation and :LOL::ROFLMAO:.

I'm just not sure the dimensions of a pack of cigarettes in the UK. So not sure of the amount of cheese.

Having been married to an Englishman from Northern England, I had to learn a whole new language. He absolutely refused to give up "Fag" or "Nappy". But in return, I learned a whole new language from an English speaking country.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom