Shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I was out of bed early this am and decided to go and do the shopping first thing. Picked up fruit and veg, meat, and a few household requirements and decided to have a bit of a mooch round the Cancer Research UK charity shop.

Wandering round I spotted a dress. "Ooh!" I thought "I do like that". Took it into the changing room, put it on, looked in the mirror and then it hit me........

I'd donated the thing a few weeks earlier!!!

Needless to say, it went back on the rack.

Last edited:
I was out of bed early this am and decided to go and do the shopping first thing. Picked up fruit and veg, meat, and a few household requirements and decided to have a bit of a mooch round the Cancer Research UK charity shop.

Wandering round I spotted a dress. "Ooh!" I thought "I do like that". Took it into the changing room, put it on, looked in the mirror and then it hit me........

I'd donated the thing a few weeks earlier!!!

Needless to say, it went back on the rack.

Proof that you have had good taste in the past, and you've still got it! Still funny. Thanks for sharing.

I decided to get brave and go to the store. Only one store in my neighborhood has sidewalk accessibility. All the others have a step or two. So I headed out and the timing was perfect. A delivery truck was on his way in and held the door open for me and my scooter. And the girl behind the counter couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. They now have a forever new customer.

Up to now I have been reluctant to use that store. It calls for crossing four lanes of traffic. And no traffic lights. I have been reluctant to use this store beause about 85% of what they sell is directed to the Spanish community. But they do have a small produce department. Good for lettuce and celery. Beautiful tomatoes. I bought just one and ate it on the way home.

And my electric scooter can just make it around the somewhat narrow aisles. I just can't risk standing up to reach anything up high. So the girl gladly came out from behind the counter to get what I needed.

Yup! They have a new customer. A very happy customer.

That's very good news Addie. It will get you out and about on your own. It made me smile to think of that kind young woman. About crossing four lanes of traffic, I sure hope you have a high visible bright flag for your scooter!!

That's very good news Addie. It will get you out and about on your own. It made me smile to think of that kind young woman. About crossing four lanes of traffic, I sure hope you have a high visible bright flag for your scooter!!

I do. And there is an island separating the two directions of traffic. I always stop there before I finish crossing the other side. I also have a very bright headlight and tail lights. The one thing I have always done, is that if I see traffic less than three car lengths heading my way, I wave them on. I can wait. I also only cross in clearly marked crosswalks. Even when I was able to cross with two legs.

If I stay on my street and cross on the main four lane crosswalk, there are traffic lights there with a "walk" light. It is a major school crossing. And I have noticed a police car sitting on the side, just waiting for some jerk who thinks they can beat the light. In this State, "yellow" does not mean speed up and beat the light. It means slow down to a safe stop.

Little by little, I am getting braver in trying new things. Well, old things, just done now in a new way.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Addie.

Things to do:

1. Start a group to agitate for a proper pedestrian crossing with traffic light
controls on the 4 lane road. A new interest in life.

2. Learn Spanish cookery

:LOL:

Last edited:
Congratulations, Addie.

Things to do:

1. Start a group to agitate for a proper pedestrian crossing with traffic light
controls on the 4 lane road. A new interest in life.

2. Learn Spanish cookery

:LOL:

I get my lunches delivered to me by my medical plan. The chef must be Spanish. Even after living in Southern Texas for almost four years, I still am not fond of their flavorings for their dishes. So what I don't eat, Pirate loves it and cleans up.

Addie, I'm relieved you're so aware of the dangers of crossing.

When I was a sassy teenager my Mom was hit by a car in a crosswalk right in front of our busy road. The memory of seeing her in a pool of blood will stay with me forever. Thank God she survived after months in the hospital. That's the day I devoted myself to being her perfect daughter, and I know I was that for her for the rest of her long life.

I get my lunches delivered to me by my medical plan. The chef must be Spanish. Even after living in Southern Texas for almost four years, I still am not fond of their flavorings for their dishes. So what I don't eat, Pirate loves it and cleans up.
I think you're confusing Spanish with Mexican. They're not the same.

Addie, I'm relieved you're so aware of the dangers of crossing.

When I was a sassy teenager my Mom was hit by a car in a crosswalk right in front of our busy road. The memory of seeing her in a pool of blood will stay with me forever. Thank God she survived after months in the hospital. That's the day I devoted myself to being her perfect daughter, and I know I was that for her for the rest of her long life.

When Spike was about five, he got hit by a car in front of my parents house. He spent the night in the hospital. When I went to pick him up the next day, I took the tunnel out of the children's ward and a doctor who was in a hurry, threw open a door that opened into the tunnel and hit my son right in the head. The latch caught him and gave him a huge big gash on the side of his head. Back upstairs to the children's ward. Another night. The next time when I was taking him home, he had the whole side of his head shaved and sporting eight sutures. Seeing someone you love with blood on them, does stay with you forever.

It was that experience that made me so aware of just how quickly something can go wrong. My three boys always had sutures, casts, etc. Pirate had been told several times, he was never to ride the miniature motor bikes that all the kids in the neighborhood owned. Except for my kids. He was riding on the back of his friends and a car was going in the opposite direction. A thin piece of chrome on the bottom on the car was sticking out and loose, caught Pirate's arm and left him with a three corner tear right down to the bone. A neighbor saw what happened, grabbed a towel and drove him to the Relief Station. (A medical station for our section of Boston since we were the farthest from a hospital.) Imagine my feeling of helplessness when I got that phone call.

Blood always makes things look worse. I am so glad to hear that your mother recovered. I think it is the blood that leaves the most delible impression on you. Pirate has a very large scar on his arm, Spike has a bald spot where the sutures were. But what I remember is the blood.

I am happy to hear that you were able to have your mother for many more years. Specially since you were a teenager at the time. A very vunerable time in your life, when a child definitely needs the guidance of a mother at that time.

"We now interrupt this off-topic discussion to return to the Original Post"...

MadCook, it sounds like your taste for fashionable clothing hasn't left even when your fashionable clothing has left your closet. ;)

Habitat - gulp!

In the early 1970s when I was just leaving college to start my first job there was a store called "Habitat" which sold everything for the new home. It was the '70s equivalent of Ikea.- You could buy everything from a bed to a knife and fork - very reasonably priced and "with it" as we said back then.

I just turned on QVC while I had a cup of tea and there was Habitat. I should have poured myself a stiff gin, not a cup of tea. They were selling a duvet cover and two pillowcases in a repellent fabric pattern for (sit down and take a deep breath) £142 (approx $190). Kelly Hoppen doesn't charge that much for so little and her bedding is good quality. There are some places in GB where you could buy the whole bed for £150!

Being young, short of cash and wanting to be fashionable ain't what it used to be!

LOL, thanks for the chuckle. I don't think I would do that with clothes...but I did go back to the thrift store to buy back some kitchen gadgets I had gotten rid of!

Back
Top Bottom