Do you grow your own herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Head Chef
I'm at the other end of the world to most here. We don't have lotsa critters you have so gardens grow good here. We have Italian and plain parsley, oregano,thyme, rosemary,sage,basil and cilantro or as we say coriander. We dried a whole heap 3 weeks ago. Yesterday we processed and put into containers. I use a lot of oregano cilantro and basil.
What do you grow??

Russ

And chives. They come up every spring whether they are watered or weeded or not, through snowy winters, rain, sleet, hail, sun and cold. Then I cut them off and dry them, then they grow back again, and again!

And garlic which is a vegetable or an herb or something inbetween.

I grow all the ones you do Rascal. Plus rosemary and mint in pots. Treat them as annuals as they do not overwinter here. I grew marjoram as I like to add to soups. Harvested and dried the herbs as they were ready. Made basil pesto and froze quite a bit of that. I buy fresh parsley and cilantro in the winter. I froze coarse chopped rosemary in olive oil and froze in a freezer bag. Have yet to see how that works, but should be pretty good in cooked dishes. Just need to lob off however much from that popsicle. I found a stray catnip seedling elsewhere in the garden and transplanted to the herb garden. My cat found that :wacko: as well she should.

I used to grow a whole herb garden, but we've got a place now where they are so inexpensive that it's really not worth it anymore, so I pretty much just grow basil now since that's the only thing I use in large quantities.

Wife's Herbs

We live in the extreme climate of the Mohave (or Mojave!) Desert. Doesn't mean nothing grows here, but some things just don't do well. My wife has year-round Basil, two types, and Rosemary growing out back. She starts tomato plants before Spring. Our orange tree, only 5 years old, has quite a few oranges this year; I'll be picking them in about a month!

In the Phoenix area, they plant hundreds of acres of melons in Winter, harvest them around February, then turn the ground for Cotton, which requires the rest of the year to mature.

I have an ongoing supply of chives, thyme, various mints and oregano, and often have sage, basil, dill, and rosemary, though my rosemary will die off as it's too cool here for its liking.

Id add Bay leaf to the list.
Bay leaf plant, and rosemary usually don't survive the winter here, so I treat them as annuals ( I will root some rosemary's over the winter and plant them again in the spring)

Wow, so many of you grow as well. The only thing I can't grow all year is basil,and cilantro, we are picking lots of both and freeze. I use those a lot in Indian and Italian cooking so I need a lot in the freezer. Rest just grow and I can pick year round. I also have mint in pots as I make mint sauce and jelly. We eat a lot of lamb down under.

Russ

I used to gbbrow a whole herb garden, but we've got a place now where they are so inexpensive that it's really not worth it anymore, so I pretty much just grow basil now since that's the only thing I use in large quantities.

Herbs aren't cheap here, and I use a lot so hence the herb garden, I'd show a pic but it's piddling down outside. We buy basil and cilantro plants from a nursery then harvest as much as we can for the winter.

Russ

I have a friend that started to grow the crocuses that produce stamens that are saffron! I think that is really cool. They plant in the late summer and they bloom in the fall, then you have to pick the stamens. That would be so fun!

I grow a medicinal plant, the roots are tinctured for pain relief, that was a project my husband and I worked on for the past couple of years. It was fun and it worked for us.

I have grown a good selection of herbs. I didn't have the spoons to do it last year. My chives just keep coming back. I unintentionally let my ~5 year old rosemary plant die. When I grow rosemary, it's in a pot and I bring it indoors in winter, because rosemary just doesn't survive snow and cold.

I have a friend that started to grow the crocuses that produce stamens that are saffron! I think that is really cool. They plant in the late summer and they bloom in the fall, then you have to pick the stamens. That would be so fun!

I grow a medicinal plant, the roots are tinctured for pain relief, that was a project my husband and I worked on for the past couple of years. It was fun and it worked for us.

Saffron the most expensive spice in the world. I use a lot in my curries. Really bright yellow to whatever you put it with.

Russ

SO’s daughter and granddaughter went to Spain and Morocco for vacation and brought back a lot of saffron and ras el hanout. Looking forward to making some dishes using them.

I do have an indoor aquaponic system, that I grow basil during the off months.
Parsley usually holds its own during the winter.

Everything else, I kinda use seasonally .

Most recipes I used dry anyway ( oregano, thyme, sage).
Ill use the fresh leaves seasonally, add at the last minute to give that fresh kick ( especially Fresh oregano On pizza, I love that).

I grow rosemary, thyme and oregano all year. I plant basil every spring to last through fall.

I also grown cayenne and jalapeño peppers every summer.

Cilantro doesn't survive the summers, here, so I don't bother.

CD

CD, talking of jalapeños we have 2 greenhouses full, the wife grows dozens. I make a very hot chilly sauce for my friends.

Russ

I used to grow them. But then I moved in here. They have provided plots for the tenants who wish to plant a garden, but since no one is interested in doing do, the maintenance crew plant every year. One has a really green thumb and sell his produce at the farmers market here in Eastie. Come five o'clock in the evening, the families show up with the kids and they all have to help with the weeding. Toward the end of the season, the interest in maintaining the plots is quickly waning. So I go down and sure enough can get some fresh eggplant, tomatoes, and other veggies. FREE!

I have a friend that started to grow the crocuses that produce stamens that are saffron! I think that is really cool. They plant in the late summer and they bloom in the fall, then you have to pick the stamens. That would be so fun...
Or not. :LOL: I grew that variety (Crocus sativus) when we lived in our first house. Even though they were a bit up a hill in my garden, I still had to get down on my knees, pluck the stamen out of the flower with tweezers, and then unfold my body and get back up. I was so much younger then! Now I would have to grow them in a waist-high growing box. I had only a dozen bulbs - and ended up with about 24 thin threads of saffron. Didn't last long. I wasn't heartbroken when they stopped producing a few years later.

CD, talking of jalapeños we have 2 greenhouses full, the wife grows dozens. I make a very hot chilly sauce for my friends.

Russ

I only grow two jalapeño plants at a time, and I have way more peppers than I can use. I used to make salsas for my friends, but haven't done that in a few years.

I don't know how it works in a green house, but my peppers start out pretty mild in the Spring, and by October, they are face-melting hot. They don't set fruit in the hottest part of summer, when the high temperatures are over 100F.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom