Lox v Smoked Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I came across this article (more of a blurb, really), and wondered what y’all think of it.

I remember the salmon that my grandpa would bring to brunch being quite salty, and the perfect topping for bagels and cream cheese. Today’s supermarket versions just aren’t salty enough!

I really enjoy smoked salmon on my onion bagel. However, I wouldn't turn my back on a bagel with lox.

Isn't the word "lox" just Yiddish for salmon? Laks is salmon in Norwegian and Danish and "lax" is salmon in Swedish. Isn't "Nova" just salmon from Nova Scotia? Personally, I would eat any of it as long as it isn't cooked or hot smoked.

Lox is like gravlax, but the gravlax is less salty but it the same processes, except gravlax is turned to give an even cure.

I prefer warm smoked salmon.,

Isn't the word "lox" just Yiddish for salmon? Laks is salmon in Norwegian and Danish and "lax" is salmon in Swedish. Isn't "Nova" just salmon from Nova Scotia? Personally, I would eat any of it as long as it isn't cooked or hot smoked.

Yes, but...

Lox has come to mean thinly sliced cured salmon. Nova, while the first part of the province name, has come to mean thinly sliced, cured, cold smoked salmon.

Lately, I've looked for, but no longer see for sale those small snack packs of quality smoked salmon or smoked herring (for when I got that smokey salty fish craving, but didn't want a lot). They were always located off to the side of the butcher/fish section of the store. They were obscure brand names, but quality and tasty :neutral:

Last edited:
A bagel, some lox - eh, mebbe some smoked salmon, and a schmear.

What's not to love?

Mazel tov!

Lately, I've looked for, but no longer see for sale those small snack packs of quality smoked salmon or smoked herring (for when I got that smokey salty fish craving, but didn't want a lot). They were always located off to the side of the butcher/fish section of the store. They were obscure brand names, but quality and tasty :neutral:

Caslon, the Souschef buys those every week from Von's for our Sunday Bagels and Lox breakfast. Ask the butcher, I can't imagine them being discontinued.

Related:
I was raised on Philly Cream Cheese. Mom went through a brief period when she used Neufchâtel cheese, thinking it would help her lose weight, but it never really caught on with the family.

Kraft makes several different cream cheese spreads. I thought their smoked salmon (flavored) cream cheese spread might be an economical way to get my morning fix of lox and cream cheese on a bagel. BIG mistake! The stuff is AWFUL. there is a vague salmon taste, but it mostly just tastes fake. I’d rather get a good can of salmon, drain it well, and mix it into some plain cream cheese.

Kraft’s garden garden vegetable cream cheese spread, however, is not bad!

Related:
I was raised on Philly Cream Cheese. Mom went through a brief period when she used Neufchâtel cheese, thinking it would help her lose weight, but it never really caught on with the family.

Kraft makes several different cream cheese spreads. I thought their smoked salmon (flavored) cream cheese spread might be an economical way to get my morning fix of lox and cream cheese on a bagel. BIG mistake! The stuff is AWFUL. there is a vague salmon taste, but it mostly just tastes fake. I’d rather get a good can of salmon, drain it well, and mix it into some plain cream cheese.

Kraft’s garden garden vegetable cream cheese spread, however, is not bad!

I used to buy them in the little glass jars. Just the right size for little hands. Unfortunately over the years they got all broken. Time to start a new collection.

I wonder if those little jars of cream cheese could be used for a different flavored cheesecake.

I always thought "Nova" was Latin for "new". At least when I took Latin, it did.
It is. Nova Scotia, the name of the Canadian province, is Latin for New Scotland. Nova salmon is the name of a type of cured salmon from there.

"Nova

The name for this salmon comes from its origin, in Nova Scotia, Canada, where salmon is cured and then cold smoked. The color is a much deeper pink, almost a burnt orange, compared to other cured salmon. The fish flavor is also a bit more intense than lox or gravlax."

https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/essential-ingredients/difference-lox-gravlax-nova

I haven't had cream cheese and lox on a bagel in forever. So I looked to see if my store carries it. Can someone please explain the last line in the Usage Directions / Dosage instructions to me. :ROFLMAO:

salmon.JPG

I was referring to: Keep frozen or refrigerated at 38 degrees F or below. Do not freeze product.
Oxymoron?

The whole usage section is just weird. Dosage? Really?

"Keep frozen or refrigerated at 38 degrees F or below. Do not freeze product." Maybe they mean to leave it frozen, but don't freeze it yourself? I dunno. I think they are confused.

Back
Top Bottom