Monday dinner, December 17, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Surprised nobody has started a thread yet.

Sushi and seared tuna with avocado and homemade ponzu, with a little bit of red pepper flakes and finely chopped jalapeno thrown on.

Sushi is:

Maine lobster with Kewpie mayo and a tiny bit of wasabi.

Shrimp with asparagus, shredded carrot, cucumber, avo, green onions and wasabi.

Spicy tuna with kimchi base, cucumber and green onions.

Vege rolls with above veges, wasabi and wilted chopped spinach with just a touch of sesame oil.

And we have 1 each leftover of the shrimp, lobster and vege rolls for lunch or brunch tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2018-12-17 18.44.00.jpg
    2018-12-17 18.44.00.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 2018-12-17 18.46.07.jpg
    2018-12-17 18.46.07.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 135
You beat me to it by a few minutes. It's national maple syrup day! For those of us in northern New England, we think it should be in March.

https://foodimentary.com/2012/12/17/december-17-national-maple-syrup-day/

I should have made maple glazed salmon (so easy!), but I didn't. I had already planned sweet and sour beef stew in the pressure cooker, so that's what I went with. Served over egg noodles, green salad on the side.

Finally got some Kewpie mayo. Amazon. I LIKE it, rich, creamy tangy. Gonna have to find more uses for it!

Surprised nobody has started a thread yet.

Sushi and seared tuna with avocado and homemade ponzu, with a little bit of red pepper flakes and finely chopped jalapeno thrown on.

Sushi is:

Maine lobster with Kewpie mayo and a tiny bit of wasabi.

Shrimp with asparagus, shredded carrot, cucumber, avo, green onions and wasabi.

Spicy tuna with kimchi base, cucumber and green onions.

Vege rolls with above veges, wasabi and wilted chopped spinach with just a touch of sesame oil.

And we have 1 each leftover of the shrimp, lobster and vege rolls for lunch or brunch tomorrow.

Wowzers! Nicely done!

I've had a ton of sushi before, but never a Maine lobster roll. Only lobster "salad" rolls, which is prepared lobster salad on top of a California roll.

You beat me to it by a few minutes. It's national maple syrup day! For those of us in northern New England, we think it should be in March.

https://foodimentary.com/2012/12/17/december-17-national-maple-syrup-day/

I should have made maple glazed salmon (so easy!), but I didn't. I had already planned sweet and sour beef stew in the pressure cooker, so that's what I went with. Served over egg noodles, green salad on the side.

It's National Maple Syrup day in Canada, too. Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund let me know. He guards the buckets; a very important job.

In recognition of Maple Syrup Day I had maple syrup in my oatmeal this morning.

However, dinner was representative of half a world away. We had Tom Yum Gai and egg rolls.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_541e.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_541e.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 129
Plannin' on some fried poke chops tonight. Some mashed-up taters on the side.

CD

Casey, you need to make my Caribbean marinated grilled poke chops. I'd want to hear your critique, er, obviously expected praise.

Wonderful sounding dinners as usual!

I built a tostada again this afternoon using the last of the ingredients from a couple of days ago, and had a fresh fruit salad on the side. :yum:

Casey, you need to make my Caribbean marinated grilled poke chops. I'd want to hear your critique, er, obviously expected praise.

I have done jerk pork chops, and I've done a more Cuban/Puerto Rican marinaded pork tenderloin -- both grilled. Not sure which one you mean.

The chops I have tonight are thin cut, so a quick fry keeps them moist and tender. Plus, it fried poke chops is a good Southern comfort food. CD

CD

It's Northern comfort food, too. I could eat pork chops every week: fried, grilled, Shake-n-bake, bbq'd, as a roast, in a casserole, etc....

I'll send you my brine/marinade. It comes from an old friend/restauranteur who, when he was young, was a cook on merchant vessels that travelled from the mid-Atlantic down to Cape Horn.

Wowzers! Nicely done!

I've had a ton of sushi before, but never a Maine lobster roll. Only lobster "salad" rolls, which is prepared lobster salad on top of a California roll.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for and it tasted very similar. I made 2 small rolls with 1 small lobster and it was pretty darn close.

Last edited:
Nice dinners, especially your's medtran! Lots of work there.

Poor Roch, you need your own personal cook. Sounds like pickin's from your cafe.

Surprised nobody has started a thread yet...
I rarely get here until late at night. However, I'd happily start a thread before I log off for the night - say, 3:00 AM? :LOL:

We are officially out of food. Well, leftover food. We finished off the smothered chicken, mac-and-cheese, and broccoli. I also fried up a couple of apples. Just enough to fill our tummies.

Dinner number one was the last of my red Argentine shrimp, simmered in a bottled al jafreezi sauce, served over short grain (Japanese) rice.

Dinner number two will most likely be some veggie Japanese curry I made a couple of nights ago, served over hard cooked eggs. I know that may sound a bit weird, but it’s actually very good! The curry is so mild, it’s almost not curry.

Why so many dinners? Since I was discharged from the hospital, I have not been able to stop eating! I’m not kidding!

It's Northern comfort food, too. I could eat pork chops every week: fried, grilled, Shake-n-bake, bbq'd, as a roast, in a casserole, etc....

I'll send you my brine/marinade. It comes from an old friend/restauranteur who, when he was young, was a cook on merchant vessels that travelled from the mid-Atlantic down to Cape Horn.

Fried "pork" chops may be a Northern comfort food, but you only get fried "poke" shops down South -- fried in hot "earl." ;)

CD

Back
Top Bottom